Federation Admiral Public Update

Other Source Material and Settings
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by Charles Lewis »

First, thanks for the kind words. Tyrel (and all of us) always want to make sure our customers are taken care of. :)

Second, in regards to what Federation Admiral will allow you to do, the answer is no. FA is designed as a campaign engine for Federation Commander, and as such, will only include ships/tech/races included in Federation Commander.

That said, it is still a VBAM engine under the hood, so it would be possible to port FA races into a regular VBAM game (it'd take a little work as FA is effectively VBAM 1.5 but it could be done), where you could tinker to your heart's content. :D
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Indeed, thank you for your support.

Charlie is pretty much spot on. Federation Admiral is designed as the campaign engine for Federation Commander. But, it has the fundamentals of the VBAM system driving it. As Charlie said, we often refer to it as VBAM 1.5 because it drove a lot of changes for 2e. So if you have the Menagerie, for example, you could probably make it work with Federation Admiral.

With that said I imagine there will be new development for Federation Admiral and we will certainly entertain ideas for new material.

All the best,
-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

So, FA to be published this month according to SVC's blog! Woot!! Although I noticed he couldn't help but be a little disparaging about it. Still, who cares, we all know better what a great product it will be, right?
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:So, FA to be published this month according to SVC's blog! Woot!! Although I noticed he couldn't help but be a little disparaging about it. Still, who cares, we all know better what a great product it will be, right?
Yeah, that is good news indeed. I have long accepted his dislike in general of campaign systems, but the fact that we have had such a positive response to the product is encouraging that people do want to play SFU based campaigns.

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Are we allowed to have a sneaky peek of the promised epic cover now?
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote:Are we allowed to have a sneaky peek of the promised epic cover now?
Hmmm, good question!

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I hope there's a good answer!

:-)
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by terryoc »

ADB has posted a draft of the FA cover art on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 79&theater

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no preview of the final art anywhere yet. I'll leave it to your judgement if it is sufficiently epic. :mrgreen:

Good enough answer? :D
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Ah, I don't do Facebook (there are some of us crazy people like that out there. No to worry, it'll be on the shopping cart and very soon after that in my hands!
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

I don't have an FB a/c either, but if you follow the link you can still view the graphic,
Gareth Lazelle
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Gareth_Perkins wrote:I don't have an FB a/c either, but if you follow the link you can still view the graphic,
Weird, when I click the link I just get a Facebook login page.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Shadow Warrior wrote: Weird, when I click the link I just get a Facebook login page.
Are you trying to connect with a mobile device?

Oddly enough, that is not the cover I saw. Although I do like it!

-Jay
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I am indeed using an HTC Desire, which might explain. Will try later with a "real" device.
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Ah yes, I see it now using a "real" device :-p

I'm sure it will be technically excellent when complete, but it looks like the cover of the one of the miniature boxes, a bit lacking in imagination. Not really epic and, as is often the case with recent ADB covers, the scale is all wrong.

As I said before, the cover of the Star Fleet Warlord book captures epic for me. Moody and with a sense of scale. This just looks like a few SFB "clip arts" thrown together and won't really stand out on the shelf in my view.

Blimey, that was a bit harsh wasn't it? I've been looking forward to this game for two years now, so I'll be just as happy if it has no cover at all to be honest!
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

I'm not sure that I would call Cole's comments 'disparaging'. He has a very specific niche of games that he works on (pure wargames with generally set goals) and anything that's more "free form" isn't his cup of tea (or coffee). He also didn't "get" the Campaign Designer's Handbook, and I'm pretty sure has no interest in ever playing Prime Directive, although those books he probably pays more attention to due to the history they include.

It is somewhat odd that someone who presumably wants all products to make money for ADB makes such comments, but well, it appears to be his way. :)

I'm definitely looking forward to this book.
--
The cake is a lie.