Borders of Madness #1
FC Booster Pack #93, #94, #95
Battlestations Star Fleet
Romulans PD20M, SKU 8734, $24.95
Prime Directive Federation (GURPS)
Federation Commander Briefing #3, SKU 4023, $TBA
Federation Admiral, data to be determined

Guys, I'm afraid to say it, but this project is dead in its current form. :cry:

I suspect only a re-write along the Starmada lines above will resurrect it and I wouldn't blame Jay if he had no appetite for that. Maybe time to consider getting ADB to print 2e VBAM under licence with 2e Local Campaigns as the first product out of the blocks?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I guess the one silver lining is that the product has slipped dates enough times now that, once VBAM 2E is actually finished and out, we could sit down and update FA to reconcile some of the 2E changes. I also think Jay's time would be well spent converting the Local Campaign rules back to a generic 2E format for release.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

I know I'd buy that.
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

Makes sense to me too. Any plans to get ADB to print some copies of 2e and send it into distribution, rather than the Lulu route to market?
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Thirded,

The local campaign rules where really what I wanted out of the supplement,

Really quite disappointing, though I guess page-count is a much bigger deal if you are planning to publish the entire line rather than selling electronically,
Gareth Lazelle
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I think we're all like minded on this one. Well, as like minded as a survey sample of three can be!
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Yes, we actually plan to work quite a bit with ADB with 2E, especially on the business side of things.

I am not sure at this point if I completely stripped and rebuilt FA if it would be out any faster, or be something you want to play. There are a lot of good community made campaign engines out there that are way below FA in terms of scope and detail, and we don't want to reinvent something like that just to make a campaign book and sell it. When we sat down with the FA idea we wanted to make it something special for ADB that both sets of fans would want to buy and both would feel they were getting a familiar, but unique product.

I have no doubt that if Tyrel lets me have plenty of page space I will make a Local Campaign system for 2e. A lot of the problem with doing that not is that the Local Campaign rules depend on Objectives, and those Objectives are driven by the system. Since the latter isn't finalized, it is tough to write the hundreds of minor objectives which could be subject to change. We will get it done, but I want to make sure the we have the right books out to support such a system and make it worthwhile.

-Jay
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

I am back from Origins.

Having spoke with the folks at ADB over the weekend, and speaking about FA at length, it will see development and hopefully soon. FA seems to have fallen on an especially busy production year, and from our discussion at Origins, it is clear that we are going forward.

The final version may see some changes to make the book more marketable to Federation Commander fans, but everyone is happy with the system as written. Some of the details will change, but SVC and I are on the same page about how this will occur.

If you feel especially strong about things you do want to see with the system, now would be a good time for us to discuss it here or on the ADB forums.

-Jay
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

I haven't seen the rulebook, but based on what I've heard, the main selling point to me would have been the local campaign stuff.
--
The cake is a lie.
Shadow Warrior
Commander
Commander

Post by Shadow Warrior »

I'm interested in the local campaign stuff but, for me, that doesn't have to be a component of the core rules, which I see as being VBAM-lite, plus stats for the ships in FC:KB, plus one or two sample campaigns/scenarios.

Still, this is hopefully good news.
terryoc
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by terryoc »

Excellent news!

I strongly like what I have seen of the local campaign rules. They look like excellent small scenario generators for FC/SFB.
Wolverin61
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wolverin61 »

I'm most interested in the local campaign rules as well. They sound like what we've been wanting to play for a few years now.

Hopefully we'll see something soon.
"His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Wolverin61 wrote:I'm most interested in the local campaign rules as well. They sound like what we've been wanting to play for a few years now.

Hopefully we'll see something soon.
I will be sure to pass your opinions along to SVC. There is a concern that the standard FC player doesn't want anything more than "capture a planet - win points" kind of campaign.

My thought is, and always has been, that a campaign should have a simple game engine that allows for all manner of creative campaigning. I stuck by the Objective system so adamently because it allows for specific objectives, more interesting campaign missions, and real fog of war during a FC battle "Why is that Gorn cruiser going back to the asteroid? Why are they towing that shuttle?".

I am sure it will get built for 2e either way, but I would say that since it occupies a fair amount of the FA rules the Local campaign rules are what he is concerned about with standard FC players.

-Jay
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by mwaschak »

I would also caution you guys to stay clear of the Federation Admiral thread on the FC forums. It went thermonuclear and I won't touch it with a ten foot pole at this point. I personally don't find a problem with my "quality" of work (this ain't my first rodeo), but this is all a matter of perspective and expectations. You have seen what we can do, and I am sure you will see it again soon with 2E and its many planned supplements.

-Jay
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Re: Federation Admiral Public Update

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Wow they really did...

I know that Paul was right out of order, but Steve seems touchy as all hell!
Gareth Lazelle