Shipyard Options 2

Playtesting & Rules Development
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Shipyard Options 2

Post by Charles Lewis »

Shipyard Option 2: Design Limits on Shipyards
Each shipyard can only produce so many different designs without retooling, with the number of designs equaling half of Utilized Productivity (rd).

To add a new design to a shipyard adds +50% (ru) to the cost of the first ship built of that design at that shipyard. The increased cost also affects build time. This represents the time and cost to build new forms, reprogram construction robots, etc. If combined with Shipyard Option 1 above, the Efficiency Multiple is applied *after* this cost. If the shipyard already has its limits of designs, then an existing one must be discarded to add the new. Note that the design is still available to the player; it just can't be built any longer at this shipyard.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

There are some good ideas here. Of course, I need to try them out but I definitely like the thought that some shipyards can specialize in certain designs. It represents part of that ever important economic reason to build a ship, and keep building it.

This is something faced by automative plants now that I think about it. A plant can build any car to some extent, but the equipment is tooled for one car or one part and is expensive to switch over. So a yard that specialized in building D-5s is probably going to take some effort to make something else. Your parts suppliers may be clear over in Beta Antares!

Also, reminds me of Auto Nation :? .
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I've used this in past games even when I don't use the other options. It does make for some interesting decisions, which is, of course, the point. Relatively easy to track, and when you have a resource-rich system where you've invested in a shipyard, it adds additional incentive to get more population into the system and improve the productivity - more ships designs that can be built at that shipyard!

I certainly have used this option more than the other, but I like the other, too. :)
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Charles Lewis wrote:I've used this in past games even when I don't use the other options. It does make for some interesting decisions, which is, of course, the point. Relatively easy to track, and when you have a resource-rich system where you've invested in a shipyard, it adds additional incentive to get more population into the system and improve the productivity - more ships designs that can be built at that shipyard!

I certainly have used this option more than the other, but I like the other, too. :)
I think you could track it simply by given a bit more detail to that shipyard too. You could call the emphasis "Tooling" or something. There is a bit of truth to given the right project to the right yard. Anyway, it may be a nice fit for that double-secret long shot project you, Tyrel, and I know about.

Shhhhhhh. :roll:

-Jay
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

mwaschak wrote:I think you could track it simply by given a bit more detail to that shipyard too. You could call the emphasis "Tooling" or something. There is a bit of truth to given the right project to the right yard. Anyway, it may be a nice fit for that double-secret long shot project you, Tyrel, and I know about.

Shhhhhhh. :roll:

-Jay
Indeed. Both options could be quite useful for that. :wink:

And Jay, you get a demerit for even mentioning that which should not be mentioned. :shock:
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Re: Shipyard Options 2

Post by Emiricol »

Charles Lewis wrote:Shipyard Option 2: Design Limits on Shipyards
Each shipyard can only produce so many different designs without retooling, with the number of designs equaling half of Utilized Productivity (rd).

To add a new design to a shipyard adds +50% (ru) to the cost of the first ship built of that design at that shipyard. The increased cost also affects build time. This represents the time and cost to build new forms, reprogram construction robots, etc. If combined with Shipyard Option 1 above, the Efficiency Multiple is applied *after* this cost. If the shipyard already has its limits of designs, then an existing one must be discarded to add the new. Note that the design is still available to the player; it just can't be built any longer at this shipyard.
Interesting. Does this alter the cost of the shipyards themselves? It seems like the cost could be tied to "design capacity" somehow.

-Emiricol
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

No change in cost of the shipyards. The available design limit is strictly a function of utilized productivity at that location (half, to be precise). This option can be used with the normal shipyard rules + extended build times.

This option makes the first unit built of any design cost extra and then forces you to make decisions about what gets built where. Also, because of the extra lead time getting designs installed in a new shipyard, it forces you to plan carefully where and when to build a new shipyard.
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Post by nimrodd »

Emiricol wrote:Interesting. Does this alter the cost of the shipyards themselves? It seems like the cost could be tied to "design capacity" somehow.
No more than # of bays and Construction Capacity is tied to cost, I would think.
Jimmy Simpson
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

mwaschak wrote:Anyway, it may be a nice fit for that double-secret long shot project you, Tyrel, and I know about.
Ooh, I love double secret long shot projects...

-Bren
(Using this as a place holder so to actually comment on this)
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

I like this idea, but it could be a bit fiddly for large nations (and the CM that is running it) to keep track of where a ship could be produced and for how much.

The +50% cost for the first ship of the design at the shipyard doesn't seem like it is much worth the effort of tracking which designs are at the individual shipyards, but what do I know until I try it.

-Bren
mriddle
Commander
Commander

Post by mriddle »

jygro wrote:
I like this idea, but it could be a bit fiddly for large nations (and the CM that is running it) to keep track of where a ship could be produced and for how much.

The +50% cost for the first ship of the design at the shipyard doesn't seem like it is much worth the effort of tracking which designs are at the individual shipyards, but what do I know until I try it.

-Bren
Could a shipyard specialize ?
give up one or more "design slots" to reduce construction time on one ship class.

I am thinking of the something like the following.
1 slots for the first -1 turn
2 slots for 2nd
3 slots for the 3rd
and reducing below 1/2 time doubles

Example given a shipyard with 12 design slots, and a ship class with a build time of 6 turns
1 slot = 5 turns
3 slots = 4 turns
6 slots = 3 turns

given a shipyard with 60 slots and a ship class build time of 4
1 slots = 3 turns
3 slots = 2 turns
10 slots = 1 turn (1 for first 2 for 2nd 6 (3 doubled) for 3rd )

Mike
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Keeping in mind that you'll almost never see a shipyard with more than 6 design slots (1/2 of utilitized productivity at that location) I think that the idea of sacrificing design slots to improve build time for another could work.
mriddle
Commander
Commander

Post by mriddle »

Charles Lewis wrote:Keeping in mind that you'll almost never see a shipyard with more than 6 design slots (1/2 of utilitized productivity at that location) I think that the idea of sacrificing design slots to improve build time for another could work.
Yikes..
miss read the utility production as production capacity (how I do not know..)

Mike
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

I think I'm going to try this in my Aloft campaign, also using the replacement prototype rule. Playtest that sucka.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Emiricol wrote:I think I'm going to try this in my Aloft campaign, also using the replacement prototype rule. Playtest that sucka.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I've found it has more impact on established empires than in exploration campaigns (at least early on), but particularly when you build a shipyard at a smaller colony, it makes you think about just what designs you want access to there.