Shipyard Options 1

Playtesting & Rules Development
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Shipyard Options 1

Post by Charles Lewis »

Shipyard Option 1: Varying Size and Efficiency, requires the use of the Extended Ship Construction Times optional rule

A) Efficiency Shipyards can be built with varying efficiencies. The efficiency of the
shipyard will be indicated with a multiple, e.g. x .75 or x1 or x1.5, etc. This multiple is applied to the cost of the ship (rd) *before* determining how many turns will be required for construction.

For example: A ship costing 6 points is begun at a shipyard with a .75 Efficiency Multiple. 6 x .75 = 4.5, rd becomes 4, which means it will take 2 turns to build the ship rather than the usual 3.

Efficiency multiples are accounted for by adjusting the maintenance cost of the shipyard based on the following chart. To determine the maintenance cost, add all the modifiers from x1 to the final cost.

x2 +1 denominator
x1.75 +1 denominator
x1.50 +1 denominator
x1.25 -1 numerator
x1 ---base 2/1
x.75 +1 numerator
x.50 +1 numerator

So an x2 Efficiency shipyard would have a maintenance cost of 1/4 while .5 would be 4/1

B) Dock Space
That number of ships that can be built at a shipyard can be varied with another multiple. This multiple is applied to the Utilized Productivity (rd) of the location to determine how many ships can be built at one time.

For example: A shipyard with a Dock Space Multiple of 1.25 at a location with a Utilized Productivity of 4 would result in a capacity of 5 ships (4 x 1.25 = 5).

Changing the Dock Space multiple affects the cost of the shipyard when built. To determine the final cost of the shipyard, add all modifiers from x1 to the desired level.

x2 +5
x1.75 +5
x1.5 +5
x1.25 +5
x1 ---base 20
x.75 -2
x.5 -5

So an x2 Dock Space shipyard would cost 40EPs while a .5 would cost 10.

C) Construction Capcity
The total value of ships under construction can also be adjusted with a multiple. This multiple is applied (rd) to the Output of the location to determine the maximum total value of all ships under construction at this shipyard.

For example: A shipyard with a Construction Capacity multiple of .5 at a location with an Output of 60 would only be able to accomodate 30EPs of construction at any given time. (60 x.5 = 30)

Changing the Construction Capacity multiple affects the cost of the shipyard when built. To determine the final cost of the shipyard, add all modifiers from x1 to the desired level.

x2 +10
x1.75 +10
x1.50 +5
x1.25 +5
x1 ---base 20
x.75 -2
x.50 -5

So an x2 Construction Capacity shipyard would cost 50EPs, while a .5 would cost 10.

These different multiple can all be applied to the same shipyard, combining the various costs to determine the final cost and maintenance of the shipyard.

For example, the best possible shipyard, with a .5 Efficiency, x2 Dock Space and x2 Construction Capacity would cost 90 EPs and have a Maintenance cost of 4/1, while the worst possible shipyard with a x2 Efficiency, x.5 Dock Space and .5 Construction Capacity would cost 4 EPs and have a Maintenance Cost of 1/4.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

This is a pretty cool idea, but it might be too much to track in game. Only playtesting will tell. You could always untie shipyards from Productivity/Output from the the planet it surrounds, but that might be too unbalanced.

-Bren
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

When I've used these options in the past, I just set up an additional sheet in my XLS file to cover the shipyards. That's useful anyway just to make sure you don't exceed capacity or construction limits in either case.

In all honestly, while I like the flexibility Option 1 contains I do admit it is a little fiddely. I think it works best as either an additional research item for a Starmada X game or to model different races' shipbuilding proficiencies (i.e. each race in the game would only have one or two of the possible combinations).

Some of the combinations could also be tied in with specific racial traits for Menagerie.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone