Playtesting & Rules Development
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Political Leaders

Post by Emiricol »

Political Leaders
Leadership
Political leaders are modeled with in-game Elite Officers, typically Diplomatic or Administrative. Each power begins with one such officer to represent the current leader.

Example: The UEA begins with prime minister Mike Lexis, associated with the RFM faction, who at game start had 1 Admin level spent on Charisma ability.

If the political leader dies for any reason (typically insurrection or assassination), a government shakeup is appropriate (the nature of which will be determined by the CM based on current racial traits and government type).

Gaining Political Experience
Each faction gains XP every year. This is spent on existing leaders or forming new ones. The number of XP gained each year is equal to the Influence (SD 2.1) the faction begins the year with. Thus, end of year changes will impact the XP gained at the start of the following year.

Protecting Political Leaders
Ground units may be assigned to defend political leaders. This can be done by the current governing party, or in the event a rival faction leader is on a planet dominated by their faction, as many units as there are friendly faction Census can be assigned by the CM to arbitrarily abandon their post in the event of an invasion or rebellion in order to defend their faction’s leadership.

Each guarding ground unit increases the difficulty of Intel missions against the politician by +1. those forces cannot counter-attack -- though they can be attacked. In this regard they act like they are in Reserve status for combat, though they must be Active to provide bodyguard duties.

For this reason, in the Ground Combat enhancements that Noel created (SD 2.4), light ground units would make the best bodyguards, and Special Forces may also be effective (though the enhanced Ground Units rules found in Stars Divided are not in use for this campaign).
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Political Leaders

Post by MarkG88 »

Emiricol wrote:
Political Leaders
Leadership
Political leaders are modeled with in-game Elite Officers, typically Diplomatic or Administrative. Each power begins with one such officer to represent the current leader.

Example: The UEA begins with prime minister Mike Lexis, associated with the RFM faction, who at game start had 1 Admin level spent on Charisma ability.

If the political leader dies for any reason (typically insurrection or assassination), a government shakeup is appropriate (the nature of which will be determined by the CM based on current racial traits and government type).

Gaining Political Experience
Each faction gains XP every year. This is spent on existing leaders or forming new ones. The number of XP gained each year is equal to the Influence (SD 2.1) the faction begins the year with. Thus, end of year changes will impact the XP gained at the start of the following year.

Protecting Political Leaders
Ground units may be assigned to defend political leaders. This can be done by the current governing party, or in the event a rival faction leader is on a planet dominated by their faction, as many units as there are friendly faction Census can be assigned by the CM to arbitrarily abandon their post in the event of an invasion or rebellion in order to defend their faction’s leadership.

Each guarding ground unit increases the difficulty of Intel missions against the politician by +1. those forces cannot counter-attack -- though they can be attacked. In this regard they act like they are in Reserve status for combat, though they must be Active to provide bodyguard duties.

For this reason, in the Ground Combat enhancements that Noel created (SD 2.4), light ground units would make the best bodyguards, and Special Forces may also be effective (though the enhanced Ground Units rules found in Stars Divided are not in use for this campaign).
Very interesting rule. I like it. How about being able to assign defensive intell points to the bodyguard detail as well? This would represent everything from electronic surveillance to spy assets aiding the military bodyguard unit. It could be attached on a 1 to 1 ratio to each military bodyguard unit. And would there be a limit to the amount of units that could serve as bodyguards?
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

I like being able to add defensive intel, thanks for the idea. I'll add it to my guide!

I hadn't thought about limits, but I think sheer economics dictates that not too many ground units will be applied to the duty. In my campaign it isn't really feasible to attack or assassinate any of the powers' leaders yet. An Underworld Empire could do it, but the only one I'm considering at the moment wouldn't like to do that at this point (too much heat...) A rebel group UE might be more likely to, though (but none of those in my game).

Another totally separate Leadership rule idea is that a power's top leader could perform a tour of the empire, which would raise Morale at each system by +1, 1 system per month. (Worked for the Romans... sort of...) Doing so would put the leader in closer proximity to border worlds, making Intel mission assassinations more feasible (and bring into play bodyguards and guard intel you mentioned).

Random thoughts...
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Emiricol wrote:I like being able to add defensive intel, thanks for the idea. I'll add it to my guide!

I hadn't thought about limits, but I think sheer economics dictates that not too many ground units will be applied to the duty. In my campaign it isn't really feasible to attack or assassinate any of the powers' leaders yet. An Underworld Empire could do it, but the only one I'm considering at the moment wouldn't like to do that at this point (too much heat...) A rebel group UE might be more likely to, though (but none of those in my game).

Another totally separate Leadership rule idea is that a power's top leader could perform a tour of the empire, which would raise Morale at each system by +1, 1 system per month. (Worked for the Romans... sort of...) Doing so would put the leader in closer proximity to border worlds, making Intel mission assassinations more feasible (and bring into play bodyguards and guard intel you mentioned).

Random thoughts...
Good stuff. Glad you liked my suggestion. Keep posting! I agree with your +1 morale tour booster too.