Ship scarcity in a tech level/research game

Playtesting & Rules Development
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Charles Lewis wrote:I need to repost my shipyard mods here on the forum, but essentially one of the options put restrictions on the number of different units a particular shipyard could build. Essentially, it could only hold the plans, equipment and forms (etc.) for a limited number of designs. Adding or replacing a design at a shipyard involved an additional expense to cover the new producers, forms, etc. being setup at that shipyard. It also then forced you to seriously consider where to build a new design and whether it would be better to build a new shipyard to do it.

All because of fluff in the old FASA ship guides. :wink:
Never underestimate the power of fluff. 8)
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

MarkG88 wrote:Never underestimate the power of fluff. 8)
Ya but its the crunch that will get you in your sleep. :wink: (and will keep you up all night, in my case)
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Re: Ship scarcity in a tech level/research game

Post by Emiricol »

jygro wrote:Normal cost of ship x 3 / total ships built ^0.5 (round normally)
How would you program that in excel, say using H10 as the 'normal cost' field, and H11 as the "No. Active" field? I am giving this whole idea a second thought :)

-Emiricol
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Emiricol wrote:
jygro wrote:Normal cost of ship x 3 / total ships built ^0.5 (round normally)
How would you program that in excel, say using H10 as the 'normal cost' field, and H11 as the "No. Active" field? I am giving this whole idea a second thought :)

Code: Select all

=round((H10*3)/(H11^0.5),0)
Or to make it slightly more logical, make the formula

Normal cost of ship x 3 / total ships previously built ^0.5 (round normally),

This way you only have to count existing hulls when calculating the cost of a new hull. Of course it would still be a pain calculating the cost when you decide to construct 10 hulls in one go. In this case use:

=round(((H10+1)*3)/(H11^0.5),0)
Gareth Lazelle
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Gareth_Perkins wrote:Of course it would still be a pain calculating the cost when you decide to construct 10 hulls in one go.
Thinking further on this point, it would make a certain amount of sense that the hull price is fixed each turn, and any cost reduction would only apply the turn after production starts (or perhaps even when the ship enters service),

So: 'total ships built' could be read as 'total ships completed' - or was that what you where thinking of in the first place?
Gareth Lazelle
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

So, I was revisiting this thread (for the use of a solo SAE game) and I do like the idea that to receive the discount for a ship, the shipyard must be tooled for that design and the discount is based on the number of ships that the shipyard has personally produced. Of course, I would can the formula to be:

ship cost x 2 / Square root of (current ships produced at this shipyard +1); round up
That cost is based for the turn, so if 10 ships are made, the discount for those ten don't occur until next turn.

I don't know how to handle ships that a shipyard isn't tooled for (perhaps ship cost x2) or how many ship designs can a shipyard be 'tooled' for, but I'm working on it.
-Bren