Arcologies for the masses

Playtesting & Rules Development
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Arcologies for the masses

Post by MarkG88 »

VBAM games Jovian Chronicles was on my mind lately and some of the nice features it added to the VBAM-verse was small-medium-large colony cylinders to increase a planet's census capacity. Costs are 50-100-150 EP and increase census capacity from 1-3.

These are basically orbiting arcologies and I decided to go one step further and introduce this interesting concept to the actual planet. So we have Arcology tech (to be researched in a campaign or made available to only highly developed empires). My proposal is any empire with this technology may introduce it to a planet (or system depending on level of detail involved in game) and this will increase the planet's census capacity by 50% (through the basic version of massize self-sustaining skyscrappers, or floating cities, undersea abodes etc). The cost would be 50+ EP per census added to the original census capacity.

Just some thoughts on something I wanted to post for awhile now and finally got it done.

-Mark
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Certainly an interesting thought, but the actual costs would probably have to be tweaked. The costs are rather high for JC as the source doesn't really support a lot of new construction effort, but I still wanted it to be possible if someone *really* wanted to build one (especially in the open game).
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

I made mine high as well based on the Jovian data and the fact that this type of architecture and "social engineering" would have some high costs to offset the benefits of the population bonus. I didn't want to to be too cheap/easy basically but between Asimov and Lucas the scifi concept of an "urban clad" planet is an option and I wanted to toss this on the boards for future VBAM rules consideration.
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

It's an interesting idea, yeah. Can't playtest it myself, but it belongs in the list of plug-in rules to model another genre :)