Alternate Technology Variants?

Playtesting & Rules Development
monsterfurby
Cadet
Cadet

Alternate Technology Variants?

Post by monsterfurby »

Hello and greetings everyone!
I was wondering whether there were any alternate solutions in terms of research and development around. I always felt that VBAM's original system was a bit limiting, especially since you have to have a tech list before you even start playing. This makes 4X-Campaigns somewhat pointless in my opinion.
Has anyone yet come up with another solution which allows for unit creation during a running campaign?
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Garland has an alternative posted on the Yahoo group and Sean is hip-deep in a full-bore tech sourcebook for VBAM. Additionally, the VBAM/Starmada X crossover book has a full tech system that gives you ships compatible with both systems. Finally, I've posted a rudimentary system that allows you to use Voidstriker as your design engine/tech tree, also posted on the Yahoo group.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

Yup, tech seems to be a big focus now. I'm close to updating mine again too. I should also have a ship calculator and example lists out soon. It is however very complex in my opinion, and other than tests it hasn't been used yet. I hope to run a game using it but it still requires more work IMO. I might run another game without my tech system first as a test for a few campaign rules I will play my tech system under.
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Since the technology module is relatively easy to add and remove, I always vary the technology I try out based on what source I am playing. For example my current Wing Commander game has 14 players, and is pretty straight forward as far as operational strategy. But when I play something else, like the before mentioned Starmada campaign, or some of my tests for other tactical systems I try to work in something else a bit more flexible, like Dan Waugh's system.

Anyway we do have quite a bit more planned from a company's perspective regarding technology and development. There are quite a few good systems out there now we can point you to, with some of the better ones being at no cost (Garland's, Dan's, some playtesting material).
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

Are you sure that you are not hiding a Kilrathi CVL cloning machine in the WC campaign? :wink:
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

Yes we have massive vats that produce up to 14 every turn. They are called "shipyards". I believe you guys had one but we blew it up. :twisted: [/Kilrathi propaganda]
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

A minor setback. See, we have so many of them that we didn't even notice the loss.

At least the CVLs are providing nice experience for our Broadsword pilots. [/Confed propaganda]