Food requirements?

Playtesting & Rules Development
jygro
Commander
Commander

Food requirements?

Post by jygro »

So after reading Tyrel's biosphere rules, I wondered if there was a more 'pro-active' approach to feeding the empire's population. My thought was to have planets have a biosphere rating, but the productivity stat would be split into EP production and Foodstuff production. I haven't decided if the decision to be EP or foodstuff is set at the productivity increase or if it can be more fluid (but I like that it is set, but for an EP fee, the values could be changed).

Working with this system, I don't think I'll worry about using the sum of census and productivity for the amount of foodstuffs a planet needs and instead go with straight census.

So a starting homeworld would be Census 10, RAW 6, Biosphere 8 with a EP Productivity (EPP) of 6 and a Foodstuff Productivity (FSP) of 2. Thus the planet would produce 36 EP and 16 Foodstuff (FS). Ten of the 16 FS would be consumed by the homeworld itself leaving 6 for the empire's colonies.

Now a crazy thought is that planets that have a good biosphere rating have lower than average RAW stats and planets that have little to no Biosphere ratings would have greater RAW stats.

So an empire would start with a Capacity 12, Biosphere 8, RAW 4 terrestial homeworld, but a colony would have the following stats: Capacity 8, Biosphere 2, RAW 6 Adaptable world. I'm not completely sold on this idea, but it would be interesting that terrestial worlds have lower RAW than those hostile and barren worlds.

Of course, this hasn't been tried so I couldn't tell you how much of a pain this tracking would be, but I don't think it would be that much more work than the current system.

Thoughts?
-Bren
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Post by Chyll »

I have wrestled with similar thoughts in the past, but on the surface Tyrel's current approach struck me as being cleaner. That may be a false first impression.

I need to run a solo game and try how it actually plays.
Both in a small scale - early exploration setting and in a large game.
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus