VBAM/Starmada AE: Fighters, Strikers and Seekers (oh my!)

Playtesting & Rules Development
jygro
Commander
Commander

VBAM/Starmada AE: Fighters, Strikers and Seekers (oh my!)

Post by jygro »

Morning:

So I was looking to play a solo VBAM/Starmada game using the new Starmada edition and I was wondering how to handle the new Fighter, Striker and Seeker rules presented in S:AE.? Anyone got any work started on this or some idea how to proceed.

My initial Thoughts:

I figured that I would split the 'carrier' trait to be fighter, striker and seeker to make it more specific in terms of what a ship can carry. It might be a little more work in designing ships, but in the end, I think it will make a better campaign.

Considering all types of expendables have a VP cost (and thus an EP cost), one might just buy everything like a 'fighter' in VBAM and keep track of all ordnance. Of course, this could get to be a bit too much paperwork, but it would be an easy solution.

Anyone got some thoughts?
-Bren
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Didn't I write up a quick draft on the VBAM group a few months back?
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Didn't I write up a quick draft on the VBAM group a few months back?
Yep. I have that saved here too. In fact I think that is what was used in the most recent AE ship builder excel sheet. I will have to go through my files to verify that.

Back to your comment though Bren. I have had some trouble with balancing strikers and seekers so far. My first attempt made them too expensive to move around, and then I accidently made the maintenance too high to keep in any real number. Tracking ordnance got to be nasty. I did trying tracking only those OOS, and that seemed ok because that is the exception and not the rule.

-Jay
jygro
Commander
Commander

Post by jygro »

I had forgotten that conversation (and I was even a part of it - sad that my mind's going eh?). I'll have to think more about it (and go reread those posts).

Actually, taking a look at the new Excel spreadsheet, there are some serious ideas in that that might be interesting to try!

The one thing that stands out that one can track equipment by tech level instead of everything as a macro level. It would be interesting for a nation to have a tech +5 for AFB, but a tech level -4 for armor plating. Considering that weapon systems can also have a tech level, it would be interesting to see how that would play out (perhaps too much to track in the end).

-Bren