Logistics Rating vs. Endurance

Playtesting & Rules Development

Which name do you prefer for this statistic?

Endurance (EN)
50%
Logistics Rating (LR)
50%

Total votes: 16

Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Logistics Rating vs. Endurance

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Two names enter, one name leaves. This is Thunderdome!

Which name do YOU prefer for the amount of shipboard stores a ship has that allows it to ignore the effects of a set level out of supply levels?
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

And a tie, how decisive of us.

-Jay
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Ok I'll challenge Jay to a face off in MAS he can take an F-14 and I'll take an F-15, winner breaks the tie (unless of course you voted for "endurance" Jay like I did, in that case, nvm hehe). :lol:
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Tastes Great! Less Filling!

I voted Logistics Rating, partly to suck up to Tyrel, but mostly because Endurance sounds more like a combat-related Special Ability to me :)

-Emiricol
Rainer
Commander
Commander

Post by Rainer »

One vote for Endurance here. Logistical rating just doesn't have the same feel.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

MarkG88 wrote:Ok I'll challenge Jay to a face off in MAS he can take an F-14 and I'll take an F-15, winner breaks the tie (unless of course you voted for "endurance" Jay like I did, in that case, nvm hehe). :lol:
In fact I am one of the Logistic Rating folks. As was mentioned it sounds more appropriate than Endurance to me since it implies more than how long a ship can live "outa water" (so to speak).

Never to back down from a challenge, we accept the challenge! Assuming we can load up said F-14 with Phoenix missiles before we start :) .

-Jay
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

I take my vote back. After hearing the arguments Logistics Rating is better.
:oops:
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

ianstead wrote:I take my vote back. After hearing the arguments Logistics Rating is better.
:oops:
<Plays air guitar> 8)
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Post by nimrodd »

To me Endurance Rating would imply an individual ships rating, whereas Logistics Rating would apply more to what the Supply Ships could replenish.
Jimmy Simpson
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Reasons for my choice of "Endurance" over "Logistics".

Logistics doesn't just stand for a big pile of supplies. It can be defined as: 1 : the aspect of military science dealing with the procurement, maintenance, and transportation of military matériel, facilities, and personnel
2 : the handling of the details of an operation

In VBAM terms, an empire could have a Logistics ability (giving it a bonus on movement of ships AND supply line length). But, as far as individual ships go, when considering its ability to stay "on station" in an unsupplied system, Endurance Rating works better for me.

Real World example
In WWII, the U.S. Navy's ships had a higher Endurance rating (bigger fuel bunkers) than most British ships. But it was America's Logistics ability (the various fleet staffs of officers to co-ordinate the large fleet trains of resupply ships and baby flattops bring forward supplies, men, planes and ammo) to allow its naval forces to remain at sea (on station) for long periods of time during its naval offensives in the Pacific Theater in the second half of the war.

I don't know if this will clarify things or muddy the waters but I felt like commenting on it a bit. :wink:
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

"Nasty hobbitses! How dare you stealsss my Precious!"

It seems clear that Endurance Rating is going to be the new name. Hrmph. And I would have got away with it if it too if it wasn't for you kids and your dog! ;)
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

*waits for Scooby snack* :lol:
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Tyrel Lohr wrote:"Nasty hobbitses! How dare you stealsss my Precious!"

It seems clear that Endurance Rating is going to be the new name. Hrmph. And I would have got away with it if it too if it wasn't for you kids and your dog! ;)
That's what happens when you leave it up to the masses to decide. Sometimes they don't vote the way they're supposed to. ;)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
ianstead
Commander
Commander

Post by ianstead »

I reckon you do the vote again, honestly I didn't think about my answer hard enough. (paint fumes and laundanum clouding my head)

OT: I have found my mini drill hehehehhehehehehehe :twisted: