2E Playtest: Universal Aquisitions

Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 2E Playtest: Universal Aquisitions

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I rolled for detection (UA got normal detection, Pirates got complete detection). I tried to figure out how intensity works... Does all intensity generated by both sides get used? Must it all get used? What scenarios turn into other scenarios? Can you decline a deep space battle? If the invader declines a deep space battle, can supply be traced through the system?
Originally the scenario intensity was pooled together, but this was later changed so that each player gets their own reserve of scenario intensity to spend on scenarios. Both sides can contribute intensity towards the same scenarios, however, in case one side wants a fight and the other doesn't. As per the previous draft, players would then take turns generating scenarios until their intensity is spent or everyone consecutively passes initiative. Declining a battle forces your units into retreat.

Now, as part of my poking at holes in the unit design and CSCR rules during the last two months I have come to the conclusion that we really need to scale back on the Federation Admiral conceptual integration when it comes to combat and make things more straightforward during encounter resolution. To that end I'm eyeing the two following possible changes:

1) Encounter intensity would be based off of total Command Rating, and your surprise level would determine the effective CR of your fleet during the encounter. This CR would then be spent to generate battles and define the size of the battles. A 30 CR Deep Space scenario would allow each force to bring in up to 30 CC of units, for example.

2) Return to a more rigid flow for scenario resolution. You would start with Interception scenarios, proceed to Deep Space, and then on to Defensive scenarios. If a player refuses an Interception or Deep Space scenario a Pursuit scenario would be generated instead and the retreating force would be unable to participate in any other scenarios that encounter.

3) Modify the scenarios so that they are more freeform, with modifiers replacing some of the hard and fast rules currently in effect. For example, scenario length would be more randomized but certain scenarios would have a modifier to length. For example, at the end of each combat round you would roll 2D6 + Current Round Number and the scenario would end on a 13+. An Interception or Pursuit might give a +2 modifier to these rolls. I just want a better way to handle the scenario length, as further tests show it to be pretty artificial.

BTW, thanks for the notes on the unit abilities. I'll take that all into consideration while I'm working on the rules next week.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]