Observation/Suggestions for VBAM2 Exploration

BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Observation/Suggestions for VBAM2 Exploration

Post by BLHarrison »

I was going over the current draft and have reached the (admittedly still in progress) exploration rules, specifically the empire activation rules.

While keeping everything prior to the un-named chart I have the following suggestions.

Because the preceding paragraph in the draft states that the home-world is a pre-FTL civilization I suggest that something like the following should be stated:

Next roll a d10 and multiply by -1 this will give the tech level of the new pre-FTL civilization. For reference, -10 through -6 are considered Pre-Industrial; -5 through -3 is Industrial and -2 to -1 is Interplanetary.

If the contact world is not a home-world, you need to roll on the <insert chart name> to determine what is the new NPE's tech level .Then roll up the new NPE’s home-world using the X.X Homeworld special trait rules.

At that point determine the pre-contact exploration and colonization (as stated in two paragraphs already in the draft). There should be some statement to the effect that a new FTL NPE should have at least 2 colonies, the Homeworld plus which ever colony was in first contact.

I would modify the tech level chart already in the book by dropping everything prior to the entry for 7 and changing that to be 2 – 7. This will make most star faring first contacts be TL 0-9 but still have the chance of higher tech worlds. For example while rolling a 12 nets an average roll on the 10d10 of 55 if by some chance you roll all 10 you have a TL100 civilization in your game.

As to the other stats for a world non-FTL Homeworlds should use the guidelines from earlier in the book (page 23) with the following modifications.

Pre-Industrial has enough agriculture to feed planet, tech starting a 0 for TL-10 and increasing to 1 at TL -8 and to 2 at TL-6, productivity, shipyards, and intelligence = 0

Industrial: Productivity = 1 at TL-5 and 2 at TL-3, Shipyards = 0, Agricultural (as before), tech = 3 at TL-5 and 4 at TL-3, Intelligence = 0

Interplanetary: Productivity goes to 3 at TL-2 and 4 at TL-1; Shipyards are at 1 for TL-2 and 2 at TL-1, Agriculture gains +1 to prior values at TL-2 and +2 to prior value at TL-1

Once you reach Interstellar you follow the guide lines on page 23

Well those are my thoughts. Thank you for your time.
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Observation/Suggestions for VBAM2 Exploration

Post by BLHarrison »

I'm doing some solo playing using the 12Sept draft and a thought occured to me.

Assume you have 2 systems (A and B for short). Both A and B have an unexplored jump lane that it is obvious will lead to a third system (C). Once you have explored the route from A to C (for example) does that mean you don't have to explore the B to C route in order to use it? If you do still have to explore the route to you get some sort of bonus to the exploring roll?