Starting Tech for Empires.

BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Starting Tech for Empires.

Post by BLHarrison »

In observing the ongoing game I think I've deduced the minimum starting tech that any TL 0 empire has. These appear to be:
FTL
Scout
Cargo

While there are undoubtly rules (either in the works or as of yet unviewd) for determining if a starting Empire tech abilities, are there any other "basic" abilities to add to the list?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Starting Tech for Empires.

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Looking at the list that I have compiled in the current draft (putting asterisks after techs that look to be defaults), I so far have the following:

Assault
Atmospheric
Bombardment
Cargo
Diplomatic
FTL (Starship)
Launch Bay
Marine (if it stays - may change its function and merge it with boarding)
Medical
Repair
Scout
Towing
Trade

Trade & Diplomatic are both iffy, but anyone should be able to build a ship that can transport salable goods or diplomatic staff, respectively.

Boarding and Cyber Warfare were how far I got yesterday working on the CSCR. They follow largely the same set of rules, so they are combined in the "how do I want them to shake out?" department. Earlier drafts gave them Boarding/Security and Cyber Warfare/Firewall as the attack/defense components of the technologies. However, I am now thinking it might be better to merge abilities so that you would have a single Marine ability that means that marine boarding parties are present for attack/defense, and Cyber Warfare that indicates that a ship has Cyber Warfare attack and defense capabilities. The purpose-made defense technologies could still exist, but be secondary.

The ground invasion bonus currently on Marine could then be transferred back to Assault, or else remain with Marine and make Marine be a dual-purpose ability depending on whether it is applied to a space or ground unit. That actually makes some sense considering interchanges with the Menagerie rules. That way empires that were good Marines would get a bonus to both invasions and boarding.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Starting Tech for Empires.

Post by BLHarrison »

Tyrel Lohr wrote: The ground invasion bonus currently on Marine could then be transferred back to Assault, or else remain with Marine and make Marine be a dual-purpose ability depending on whether it is applied to a space or ground unit. That actually makes some sense considering interchanges with the Menagerie rules. That way empires that were good Marines would get a bonus to both invasions and boarding.
I'd go with giving Marines a bonus in both Invasions and Boarding Actions most likely +1AS/PD and +1 when boarding. I'd keep Boarding itself as a seperate develoment, to represent the ability to get troops over to the enemy ship. If there is a Marine unit embarked or if there is a flight with both Boarding and Marine (making flights an exeption to the ground units only rule for Marines) then the boarders get the Marine Bonus if there are Boarders only then no bonus.