Re: Human Republic Playtest Thread

Post by mwaschak »

Oh goodie, some neighbors :shock: .
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

As the new lobbyist for the Militarist Party (i.e. I just found the thread, way cool guys) I think we need to build up our defenses against these xenophobic and obviously untrustworthy aliens that are positioned to attack not only our nascent colony at Carthage, but Terra Nova itself! :shock:
I will be throwing my hat into the ring for the next round of elections. We need some sound thinking to counter the wild eyed dreamers who would leave us defenseless before the alien menace. :P
(O.O.C. this is a very cool thread and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.)
4. Killing is not too good for my enemies
Evil Overlords Survival Guide
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Agreed! We will need take a step back and see what kind of static defenses could be constructed along the frontier to ensure the new neighbors don't come looking for trouble. We know so little about them that we don't want to appear weak.

On a completely out of character note I will be starting a thread soon to discuss the upcoming 2E playtest and how we want to conduct that.
mriddle
Commander
Commander

Post by mriddle »

mwaschak wrote:Oh goodie, some neighbors :shock: .
Tyrel clearly believes in the saying "keep your friends close and your enemies CLOSER" ;)
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

What a interesting situation. For as I see it, we must defend the empire as offensively as we can, yet grow the empire whenever we can, still balancing out getting the tech of the empire up as fast as we can. And although there may be no perfect solution; where the emphasis is placed, could make this fledgling empire's next few years a bit easier or a whole lot harder. I surely hope at least one of the senior senators has procured a crystal ball, hehehe.
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by BLHarrison »

[Senator/on] With the recent completion of the prototype Clark station I feel we need to add another one to our defenses at Terra Nova. That being said I feel we need to prototype a more moble ship type as well so we can re-enforce our colonies as needed. If any of the military faction have plans please introduce them to the floor so we all can debate the merits ... quickly.

We also need to establish a trade point in Carthage, not only for the economic benifits, but so we can build stations there as well. Once that is complete we should repeat the process at Archer.

[Senator/off]

While my faction does tend to go for fixed defenses I also know that a nation needs at least some moble forces to supliment the stations.
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

And while my faction likes mobile forces, I approve of adding some more fortresses to secure the homeworld.
I even like the idea of a squadron of fortresses at Carthage. If we build up shipyards at Archer I suppose we will need defenses there too. but I would prefer to see what our other scouts find before investing heavily in Archer.
By the time we have built up Carthage some we should know what choices we have in surrounding systems.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I'll get an update out on this playtest on Sunday. Between now and then I'll be updating some of the rules based on changes that I've implemented this last week and getting us setup to go. The most important change to this game is that units costs are back to being half what they were when we started. This will make it easier for us to build big, shiny pretties in the near future (I see clamoring for a solid warship!).

I'll also update the Senate roster to add Aelius to the list. Vandervecken should feel free to throw his hat into the ring, too, and choose a party affiliation. There's only five turns until the next election, and I should be able to hammer out about 2-3 turns Sunday night (maybe all 5), only stopping if something *interesting* happens. Interesting things are usually bad in my campaigns. As Mike hinted, the luck of my dice usually means that enemy species end up living right on your doorstep.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

I'm a Military Party guy, but my heart (and my graft) sometimes goes toward the Technocratic. I want my shiny ships to be the best gosh-darn shiny ships in the sector.
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

Vandervecken wrote:I'm a Military Party guy, but my heart (and my graft) sometimes goes toward the Technocratic. I want my shiny ships to be the best gosh-darn shiny ships in the sector.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one. I want the best toys instead of just the most toys. :D
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

Aelius, I hope we don't have to play the equivelent of the British in a space version of "Zulu Dawn", eh ??
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

Vandervecken wrote:Aelius, I hope we don't have to play the equivelent of the British in a space version of "Zulu Dawn", eh ??
Akk :shock:
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Oh my, this is interesting! After a year of inactivity I'd stopped strolling by ;) I love this playtest idea, Tyrel. I'd like to throw my hat in for the Military Party.

EDITED:
"Clearly these wing-flappers are going to make a grab for the system next to our homeworld, and that just cannot be allowed. Our Intel suggests they would not even sign a border treaty, and our own diplomats have assured me they would feel no obligation to honor even that paltry piece of paper!

Only a solid offense is going to guarantee peace! Only once we have forced them to accept Human sovereignty of systems adjacent to our homeworld can we breathe easy and focus on more domestic issues. Humanity needs living space to guarantee our freedom and meet the challenges of this century and the next."

Goals (Updated):
1) War ships to secure Control of Carthage and the TN/Archer-adjacent system
2) 5EP of Intel per turn until full, so we can send our noble spies in to strike blows for Freedom if needed (A bone to throw our Intel-minded colleagues)
3) Colonize, in order, Carthage then the Terra Nova/Archer-adjacent system to lock in our Control
4) Build up enough static defenses to keep the wing-flappers honest.
5) Build up a fleet of war ships to enforce our Control of Terra-Nova claimed systems by bringing the fight to the enemy if they get squirrely.
Last edited by Emiricol on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Just a note to let people know that I'm not dead and I'll (finally) get another update here within the next few days (weekend at the latest). I've been pulling 10 hour days and spending my off hours sick on the couch or at the dentist the last two weeks, which isn't an entirely productive way of spending your time.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Hope you feel better soon - tooth problems can be debilitating :/ Say, what software are you using to make maps these days?