Human Republic Playtest Thread

Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Human Republic Playtest Thread

Post by Vandervecken »

Tyrel,

Hope you are feeling better and better.

I think you (and the crew) are doing a great job. I know I'd be doing much worse if I had my game system up for scrutiny. Even though all the posters here are fairly (to highly) intelligent, constructive, and trying to make VBAM 2E even better; I'd take it like someone wanted to change my daughter. Poster X " Well, if you just take her hand and put a tenticle on it she would be much more ...." or Poster Z "Ummm, she has 2 kidneys but the combat sequece would flow so much better if you just added 2 more". My game is my baby, so that you guys are letting us in and listening to our "2 kidney +" combat table adds or whatever is just wonderful. Shows you guys really want 2E to be a SUPER game system. Really glad you have a thicker skin than me, hehehehe.
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Emiricol wrote:Hope you feel better soon - tooth problems can be debilitating :/ Say, what software are you using to make maps these days?
I'm using Illustrator CS4 for the maps. I like the nifty effects I can add to them, such as the drop shadows underneath the controlled/claimed hexes, but I actually vastly prefer the old Illustrator 8 that I used before. I haven't tried installing Illustrator 8 on my Windows 7 box, but I know that just opening from the pre-existing folder no longer works like it did in XP, so I have a bad feeling that it just isn't compatible anymore.

The dental pain itself wasn't the problem this time, it was more than it is a 2 hour round trip to the dentist and then you get to be there 1-2 hours -- so it shoots an entire afternoon and often bleeds into the evening if you still have appointments to get done when you get back. Today is going well, though, so I should be able to actually work on things this weekend (shock!)
Vandervecken wrote:I think you (and the crew) are doing a great job. I know I'd be doing much worse if I had my game system up for scrutiny. Even though all the posters here are fairly (to highly) intelligent, constructive, and trying to make VBAM 2E even better; I'd take it like someone wanted to change my daughter. Poster X " Well, if you just take her hand and put a tenticle on it she would be much more ...." or Poster Z "Ummm, she has 2 kidneys but the combat sequece would flow so much better if you just added 2 more". My game is my baby, so that you guys are letting us in and listening to our "2 kidney +" combat table adds or whatever is just wonderful. Shows you guys really want 2E to be a SUPER game system. Really glad you have a thicker skin than me, hehehehe.
Yeah, everyone wants the game to hew towards their preferred style of play. The trick is to try and find the common ground where the core game plays well for everyone, then each individual player or group can start hacking away at that foundation and bolt on optional rules that achieve their desired effects while cleaving away the parts of the system that they would really rather prefer not to deal with.

The biggest problem at this stage is that we've gone through enough revisions internally that we are jonesing to get the game finished and released. That means that while some ideas might pop up that are really good, there is a good chance that they either don't mesh with the rest of the rules for one reason or another or could add unforeseen complications -- and we have enough of those right now :) Those kinds of ideas will almost definitely end up in the Companion as optional rules, but we are quickly reaching the point where most of the game elements will be set in stone.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Tyrel, speaking from experience, but the only way to get a pre-CS version of Illustrator to run on a Vista or Windows 7 box is through some sort of virtual desktop that can emulate a 32 bit environment. There are ways to accomplish, but it's a huge hassle, so I finagled my way into a copy of Illustrator CS5.

Like you, I miss Illustrator 8. :)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I still have a Windows XP laptop that I use half the time for VBAM development when I need to go where it's quiet, so I can always use it to get Illustrator 8 running in a pinch. I should be able to setup some sort of a virtual machine on here, too, if I wanted to... but I think putting it on the laptop would probably be the easiest option. If I ever get the desire to do Babylon 5 Wars sheets again I'll likely do that.
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
Emiricol
Captain
Captain

Post by Emiricol »

Just an FYI, I edited my previous in-game post.