Clarification

duxdarius
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Clarification

Post by duxdarius »

You need 10 shipyards to build size 10 ships or bases?

Woow that is 400EP worth of stuff plus 25 Maint per month is that correct?
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Probably not. Tyrel had a Eureka moment that is going to radically change how shipyards are handled in 2E. :)

How's that for a teaser?
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
japridemor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by japridemor »

And that is not a tease how? I'm jonesing for more 2nd Edition stuff. My wife has promised me I will be able to spend money on buying 2nd Edition when it comes out so...HURRY please.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

And as for shipyards? All facilities are gone and will be treated as infrastructure. So a colony could have Shipyards 3, purchased as other infrastructure and without maintenance costs.

We're still ironing out details. Tyrel is tying together some loose ends, but we hope to put an updated alpha document very soon.
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Post by Chyll »

Charles Lewis wrote:And as for shipyards? All facilities are gone and will be treated as infrastructure. So a colony could have Shipyards 3, purchased as other infrastructure and without maintenance costs.

We're still ironing out details. Tyrel is tying together some loose ends, but we hope to put an updated alpha document very soon.
Now that sounds like a fabulous idea!!
I can't believe it never occurred to anyone before. :shock:

Let's get him a shiny star. Or a spiffy hat. :lol:
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus
BLHarrison
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by BLHarrison »

Charles Lewis wrote:And as for shipyards? All facilities are gone and will be treated as infrastructure. So a colony could have Shipyards 3, purchased as other infrastructure and without maintenance costs.

So will we still have limit to size? i.e. planet has Shipyards 2 so the largest size ship allowed would be size 2? or some formula like Shipyard x (To be determined number) = max size ship?
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

The new take on shipyards has not yet been finalized. However, at this point we're back to more of a 1E-style construction limit. Productivity x Shipyards is the maximum number of Economic Points that can be tied up in shipbuilding at any one time. Productivity x Census is the similar limit on ground units and fighters or ships with the Atmospheric trait.

So there is not a hard size limit, however the spending limit effectively serves that function. If you want a colony to be able to build the big stuff you'll want to invest in both productivity and shipyard infrastructure. Given how those costs ramp up, there will be incentive to have the big shipyards at large colonies so that higher productivity can be useful for other things as well. That said, there's nothing stopping you from developing a large shipyard on an otherwise worthless colony in a more protected location...
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I am posting an overview of this on the blog, but Charlie has it summarized here. The only clarification is that currently shipyard output is being used for all space combat units and production output is being used for all ground combat units. Atmospheric space combat units can be built as ground units, however, which makes Atmospheric at least somewhat more useful.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]