So

teinedraig
Ensign
Ensign

So

Post by teinedraig »

how goes the journey towards the new version?
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

After hitting a few stumbling blocks, the alpha draft is coming together. I'm currently working on the next Dev Journal which will lift the curtain a bit on the new tech rules and the unit builder rules. Hopefully, it will be released by the end of the week.

We are giving very serious consideration of publicly sharing the alpha version of the rules like we did with the CSCR to start getting useful feedback right away and keep everyone involved in the process. :)

No timeline on that yet, but we'll keep you posted.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Can you say if the unit builder rules will make the 2E construction block that I put into the shipyard (from examples here) completely useless? :(

If so, I will cut it out of the next shipyard.
I have already asked on mj12 forum for ideas to improve the next shipyard, although to date nobody has said "get rid of the VBAM bits".
Paul
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

The road to 2E has been a bit bumpy lately, largely thanks to me being sick for two weekends and then having tons of work thrown in on top of that.

I am back on track, though, and am working through the movement rules now. I have a draft of the direction I am headed sent to Jay and Charlie for a sanity check, but barring any intense grief I am hoping to have that part of the rules playtest-ready by the end of the week. That will leave only a few chunks of rules to reintegrate and we should have a version of the rules that is ready for complete playtesting (rather than testing just the bits and pieces).

OldnGrey: I wouldn't worry about changing or removing any of the VBAM 2E bits anytime soon. Things are still in flux, and I would hold off on making any major changes until after playtesting is complete. We will try to keep you in the loop when we get to that point, as we really appreciate the time and interest you have invested into keeping the Shipyard compatible with our insane ramblings :)

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Thanks Tyrel, I will leave the 2E section as is.
Truth is the only idea to come from my asking about possible improvements is to add the alternate costing altered byTL's used (for 1st Ed)
Trying to get any feed back is like getting blood from a stone!

Paul
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

OldnGrey wrote:Trying to get any feed back is like getting blood from a stone!
Don't worry, that is unfortunately a universal trait :) I haven't received much additional feedback on the alpha combat rules we released several months ago, though I think Jay may have got some reports back on that (haven't seen them, so can't say -- if anyone DOES have any reports, I would appreciate a copy, seeing as I am writing the rules!).

We'll all get there, and once we have something more set in stone I will let you know. I think I know where we are headed now, but there is still some possibility of change (though not much at this point, I don't think).

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

I will hopefully have some feedback on the new combat rules soon- I am playing around with a computer CM-aide tool and I'm sure the development will raise a lot of questions.

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609