Elite Officers

Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Elite Officers

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

THOSE WHO SERVE will be the supplement that will house the new elite officer rules. I had quite a bit written on this book last year, but ended up holding off on finishing it up because I wasn't happy with it. With 2E in the pipeline, I will now be able to approach it from another direction, and one that I think will address the "uber-officer" problem that Dan and others ran into in 1E.

The 2E CSCR will most likely see a shift away from individual ships and fighters and towards squadrons and strikegroups. In such an environment, many of the officer traits from previous iterations of the elite officer rules no longer make sense. This scope change also allows for a smaller but more focused set of smaller bonuses to be conferred via officers. Maximum benefits will still be tied to unit stats, but gone will be the days of officers that can provide enormous AS/AF bonuses to their squadrons or task forces.

I have a feeling, should things go as planned, that campaigns will see a greater number of less powerful officers rather than the reverse. That is not to say that players couldn't cultivate a small cadre of extremely powerful officers -- but basic limitations on maximum benefits, and the fact that each unit can have a number of officer assigned equal to their SIZ (which is equal to Command Cost, in most cases), will likely encourage having a greater number of officers. Add in rules for seniority, too, and the chance of seeing a battle loaded with the upper-crust of the fleet brass will be highly unlikely.

-Tyrel
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Will there be an optional 'FASB'-style officer system included?

Of the two systems in 1E the FASB "Notable Officer" system whereby sometimes you had to put up with the odd duff officer really clicked for me,
Gareth Lazelle
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Gareth_Perkins wrote:Will there be an optional 'FASB'-style officer system included?

Of the two systems in 1E the FASB "Notable Officer" system whereby sometimes you had to put up with the odd duff officer really clicked for me,
Yes, we will be building the possibility for negative officer traits into the rules, so that a player can either voluntarily take these traits to increase the officer's Rank, and the officer can also earn them naturally over time.

Officer Rank will be much more important this time around, too, and the most senior naval officer, for example, will always be in charge of a task force -- even if he has no positive traits!

-Tyrel