Legends of Nomord

Campaign Diaries & After Action Reports (AARs)
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Re: Legends of Nomord

Post by Brennall »

Well after a very interesting read of Stars Divided : Terran Civil War I have decided to include a few of the ideas and optional rules into my campaign. Having peeked into virtutis.umbra's "The Wolves" thread it came to my attention he had a clear set of "rules" to start his game with. While I was floundering around from book to book grabbing what I liked and trying to remember it.

So I have decided to document which parts of the "optional" rules I like and record them here: -

CG 4.1 Wartime Economies
CG 4.3 Extended Supply Routes
CG 4.6 Bombardment Accidents
CG 4.8 Quick Expansion Colony Fleet Rules
CG 4.10 Extended Construction Time
CG 4.11 Restoring Carrying Capacity
CG 4.19 Blockade Maintenance
SE 3.5 Detailed Damage Tracking
SE 3.6 Construction Facilities
SE 3.8.2 Use of Task Force Flagships
CC 2.1 Advanced System Generation (Commodore)
CC 2.2.2 Scouting and Exploration
CC 2.3 Surveying
CC 2.6 Ancient Ruins
CC 2.7 Ancient Derelicts
CC 4.1 Retreating from Combat
CC 4.6.2 Terror Bombardment
CC 5.2 Guerilla Warfare
CC 5.3 Special Forces
CC 5.4 Variable Quality Militias
CC 6.1 Non-Player Entities
CC 6.2 New Diplomatic States
CC 6.4 Enslavement and Genocide
CC 7.1 Unit special abilities (Not Interdictor, Mass Driver or Planet Killer)
CC 7.2 Planetary Facilities and Installations
CC 7.6 Extended Base Construction Rules
CC 7.7 Prototyping
CC 7.8 Unit Refits
CC 7.9 Availability Option 1.
CC 7.12 Productivity Liquidation Option 1.
CC 7.15 Terraforming
CC 9.1 Rebellion
CC 10.1 Elite Officer System
CC 10.2 Personnel Grade Levels
MG 3.1 Tracking Census in a Campaign Using Custom Races
SD 2.2 Technology Random Starting Technology. (Not 2.2.5)
SD 2.3 Space Unit Special Abilities
SD 2.4 Ground Units
SD 2.5 Fighters
SD 2.6.1 Agile Ships
SD 2.7 Raiding (also investigating this system)
SD 2.8 Bombardment
SD 2.10 Wartime Economics
SD 2.11 Colony Fleets
SD 2.13 Planetary Facilities & Installations
SD 2.18 Elite Officers and Crew
SD 2.22 Personnel Grade levels
SD 2.23 Starmada Marines

Haven't Decided yet: -
CG 4.13 Random Events

Ok that was a lot larger list than I had thought, it does however show how complex new players find the rules and the amount of effort to get to grips with them.
Last edited by Brennall on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandervecken
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Vandervecken »

Brennall,

First, very nice system generator. And double thanks for sharing !

Second, I look at the list of options you have chosen and I say to myself ... yup, I need that. I really want that. And my gosh, I couldn't play without that. Right down the entire line. But then I look over that list and the robust easy game system has gotten a we bit, ummm, Hefty (Big boned). And I realize that I've just kicked out every one I had hoped to play with in my local gaming group. Sure, mabe 20 years ago when we didn't have kids and 1 or 2 still didn't have full-time jobs; the big games of "Starfire III: Empires" and "Highway to the Reich" were played. But now we hardly have time for an evening Eurogame, save for 1 or 2 Uber-Saturdays a year. I'm sure glad that this game can be played Solo - It will probably be my default. But besides the people who participate in the VBAM board, do you think you could find 3, 4 or 5 dedicated personnel you've gamed with to do that type of advanced rules (as listed above) kind of game for over the course of a campaign, sometimes taking over a year or much more, before ONE empire becomes so dominant that all the others together must bow before him/her and swear their fealty lest they be swept away from the universe ??

I ask because in the last few years I've attempted to play a non-solo game of other games out there. Thank the stars for spreadsheets, when these systems really ratchet up and you have 20 to 150 worlds in your empire, the paperwork gets unweildy. One system, which I really enjoy the combat system (until there are hundreds of ships involved), almost takes an accountant to manage your turns even with a smartly made spreadsheet. All my old friends always say they want to do another empire building, space themed, game (like in the good old days), as well as a few new friends too. But plop down anything with more than 10 pages of rules and most of them disappear like roaches when the lights are turned on. The few more dedicated ones give it a try but Real Life starts to show up a few weeks into the campaign and suddenly the moderator is having to remind people of due dates that went by a few days ago, or attempting to work someones Vacation into the already stretched schedule. I'm sure most who read these boards can relate !? Do you, Brennall, have a dedicated crew for your "Legends of Nomord". Because I look forward to vicariously living thru them and their reports if you can get them to post here. It will allow me to temporarily forget that during some school weeks I might find myself with 8 family commitments in 6 days, hehehehe.

A long winded way of saying thanks for showing us the development of your campaign. I can't wait to see it populated by you if solo , or your friends if moderated (harder but so much more rewarding).
I weary of the Chase. Wait for me. I shall be merciful and Quick.
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Vandervecken,

I am glad you like the System Generator, hopefully I should get the Admiral level one done sometime next week.

With regard to the list of options, I was a little concerned to be honest. I am very interested and quite persistent and that alone has carried me through multiple rule book & errata readings before I could even contemplate playing. I am not sure "casual" gamers could / would do this?

Sadly this time will be a "solo" outing, however I am teasing a few friends into following the game and they are showing interest, so maybe next time.

Oh and I feel your pain with regard to commitments, somehow things were easier before having children.
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Continuing to document starting designs, this will be the third and fourth out of the five we are allowed before the game starts. I am trying to design some useful units as units created during the campaign will require the pain and time of prototyping.

Merging the stats from the -2 TL and 0 TL as previously dicussed the next unit is a multi-role Assault fighter created for planetary deployment/defense.

Et-Rian Mk1 Fighter

Code: Select all

N001	Et-Rian Mk1 Fighter 
TL: -2
Size: 4
Speed:  11
Attack:  6
Defense:  2
Traits:  Atmospheric, Assault
Cap Reqt: 94

VBAM Stats
Cost: 3/4
Mtn: 1/6
DV: 3
AS: 2
AF: 2
Class: (SHvy)
The next design is a cheap system defense gunboat. For campaign purposes this ship exists to lower the chance of raiders in Nomordian space. Eight of these stationed in a system should lower the percentage chance of raiders to zero for most turns. If there was some mechanic for handling a policing/law value instead of building ships I would take that instead, I see them as merely a "dice modifier". It is important to note these ships are NOT jump capable.

Guardian Class, Nomordian Gunboat

(11) Guardian Class, Nomordian Gunboat,  Bulwark
Hull: 1
Engines: [TL-2] 2                              
Screens: [TL-2] 3                              

Weapons : 1:[V], 2:[V], 3:[V], 4:[V], 5:[V], 6:[V]
Weapons
Battery V:   Fusion Cannon  TL-2,  1-3/4-6/7-9,  1/4+/1/1

[AB] 

Special Equipment   - Equipment Tech Level: -2
 Anti-Fighter Batteries:
 Armor Plating:

Damage Control Dice: 1
Searchlights: 1

VBAM: Cost:2  Maint:1/8  DV:4  AS:1  AF:1  CR:2  CC:1  Basing:0    [Alternate TL Adj. cost:3]
The Shipyard: VFv59
I still have a single design to complete, not sure about that yet ...
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

I considered designing Transport ships (etc) ... but came to the conclusion just buying transport fleets etc. was actually easier to manage and gave virtually the same results for a lot less work.

Now I need to apologise to Paul again ... I think I might have found a a problem for TL-2 Freighters classification in the Shipyard spreadsheet. To qualify as a Freighter you need to have Cargo Bays occupying at least 50% of the Hull space. The test is based upon number of cargo bays currently, which makes it impossible to design a ship at TL -2 where each cargo bay occupies twice as much space. To fix the system for all TL you would need to make the test use SU oppupied by Cargo Bays instead of Number of cargo bays.

Something else was bugging me to, if I don't put weapons on ships (like a freighter for instance) ... the cost to purchase the ship was 0 and maintenance was 1/3. I wasn't sure if that was right or not?
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

I settled on a small corvette class for the final design.

Dagger Class, Nomordian Corvette

(20) Dagger Class, Nomordian Corvette,  Poniard
Hull: 2 1
Engines: [TL-2] 1 1                             
Shields: [TL-2] 1 1                             

Weapons : 1:[2V], 2:[2V], 3:[2V], 4:[2V], 5:[2V], 6:[2V]
Weapons
Battery V:   Fusion Cannon  TL-2,  1-3/4-6/7-9,  1/4+/1/1

[AB]  [AB]  [AB] [D] 

Special Equipment   - Equipment Tech Level: -2
 Hyperdrive:
 Anti-Fighter Batteries: 1

Damage Control Dice: 1
Searchlights: 1

VBAM: Cost:4  Maint:1/3  DV:2  AS:2  AF:1  CR:2  CC:2  Basing:0    [Alternate TL Adj. cost:5]
The Shipyard: VFv59
Ok .. with the designs out of the way, I am just about ready to begin :)
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Ok I have setup all my documents required for the campaign, they can be found below

Campaign Races
Master System Sheet
Ship Designs

I am now working on finalising the purchases for the pre-campaign expenditure (168pts)
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

The Awakening of Knowledge

With the unlocking of the Akarosian Tablets came a tidal wave of knowledge. Obviously a significant amount of effort had gone into preparing the content of the Tablets, it felt almost as though we were attending a class in a Center of Knowing.

In the early years of the deciphering the progress was slow, so few knew the language of our predecessors and those that did were holy men, not scientists or linguists. Initially the knowledge seemed to be focused mainly in the area of computing, our simplistic binary computers were to bereplaced with quantum computers, the seemingly unbreakable problem of quantum decoherence swept aside in months. Once the first prototype Quantam computers were complete, the task of deciphering the tablets lurched forward rapidly, programming code stored in the tablets was downloaded into the new computers and the first Virtual Intelligence greeted us in our own language six months later.

The VI’s were to become our mentors, tireless personality constructs multi-tasking with hundreds of people at once. Guiding us along new paths of knowledge, what they could teach us seemed limitless, however in one specific area they were ominously silent. We were all eager to discover where they came from, what had happened, but were met with polite silence whenever we enquired.

Within 5 years our world had changed, we were preparing to travel to the other worlds in our own system. Colonies were being planned, space stations out amongst the gas giants to harvest raw materials had been proposed. Our entire race became fixated on the advancement of knowledge, the Council who had overseen our world became home to our greatest thinkers, all of whom focused on this betterment of our people.

Almost like children, we seemed to reach an age where the VI’s deemed us mature enough to discuss their history. In retrospect we now understand their hesitance, knowledge of our potential demise came as a significant cultural shock.
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Pre-Campaign Expenditure

2 Orbital Shipyards @ 20ep = 40ep (2mtn) (Needed for later construction)
1 Military Institute @ 25ep = 25ep (1mtn) (To get some elite personnel early on)
4 Explorator Frigates @ 4ep = 16ep (3mtn) (The exploration fleet)
1 Trade Fleet @ 15ep = 15ep (Increase income every turn)
7 Gas Siphon Stations @ 10ep = 70ep (3mtn) (Infrastructure investment)

= 166ep so far out of 168ep available with a current running maintenance of around 9 per turn.
OldnGrey
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by OldnGrey »

Brennall wrote:Now I need to apologise to Paul again ... I think I might have found a a problem for TL-2 Freighters classification in the Shipyard spreadsheet. To qualify as a Freighter you need to have Cargo Bays occupying at least 50% of the Hull space. The test is based upon number of cargo bays currently, which makes it impossible to design a ship at TL -2 where each cargo bay occupies twice as much space. To fix the system for all TL you would need to make the test use SU oppupied by Cargo Bays instead of Number of cargo bays.

Something else was bugging me to, if I don't put weapons on ships (like a freighter for instance) ... the cost to purchase the ship was 0 and maintenance was 1/3. I wasn't sure if that was right or not?
In Starmada AE the test for "Freighter" is 50.1% of available SU + 100SU of Vehicles, Transport or Vehicle Bays (carried over from Starmada X for anyone wishing to show them as such).
I believe the real problem was not using the TL adjusted figure for the test :?: It would take a large ship at TL -1 to have engines or any shield and TL -2 would be all cargo (Using Tech Range 2). I will change this.

Here you have hit upon a very old problem, Cost assumed that a ship would have a Combat Rating, which under Starmada X even an unarmed ship would get due to engines. The calculations changed with Starmada AE, engines are used in the weapon battery offensive rating.
No weapons = No Offensive Rating = No Combat rating :roll:
What I propose to do is introduce an ORAT of 1 for a ship with 0 ORAT to give at least a cost of 1EP in the VBAM stats. Although in Starmada AE even giving a freighter a shuttle would give it a CR.
You may (or not) have noticed that in the Armada books freighters have been given at least one weapon to give the ship a CR.

Paul
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Your right .. it was using the unmodified SU for the test instead of the TL Modified SU. Should be easy to fix hopefully :)

I am not sure what to do about the "no cost" ships ... I had not noticed that the freighters all had a weapon. I think the minimum cost Orat might be the way to go.

I am sorry I seem to be making work for you!
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Turn 1 - Year 0000.1 Nomordian Diaspora

Income
Treasury = 2
Homeworld Income = 42
Gas Stations = 7
Trade Fleet (-20% Meritocracy) = 3
Total = 54

Expenditure
Maintenance = 11
Build Transport Fleet = 20
Intel Expenditure (10 of 11 Intel Capacity)) = 1
Total 32

Balance = 54 - 32 = 22 carried forward in Treasury

Orders
Explorer Fleet search for Jump Lane 1 (+2 Scouting Modifier)
Intel Expenditure ( Counter Insurgency on Nomord IV 8pts) = 25% Failure chance
Intel Expenditure ( Counter Raiders 2pts) = -10% Raid chance

Results
Intel Expenditure (Counter Insurgency on Nomord IV) = D100 rolled 93 - Success Morale +1 = Morale 6
Raiders (10% Base - 10% Intel = 1%) = D100 rolled 87 - No Raid
Military Institute
Explorer Fleet search for Jump Lane 1 = 2D6 rolled 11 + 2 = 13 found System Found = 073 Possor

The first year diary for Legends of Nomord can be found here

I am trying to be detailed in my postings in the hope that people will point out anything I am doing wrong and to help beginners who might be facing the similar problems.
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Bit late to the party, but some boredom set in and I went looking through the old Starmada threads, and found this:

http://www.mj12games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277

Where I asked about space stations being modelled in S:X
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Thanks for the link murtalianconfederacy very helpful :)
Brennall
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Brennall »

Turn 2 - Year 0000.2 ND
Income
Treasury Balance = 22
050 Nomord System Income = 42
050 Nomord System Gas Stations = 7
Trade Fleet (-20% Meritocracy) [050 Nomord Only] = 3
Total = 74

Expenditure
Maintenance = 11 (No new maintenance added)
Intel Expenditure (10 of 11 Intel Capacity) = 1 (Raid Modification)
Raise Production to 6 Nomord IV 60 (Will give 36 Income Next Turn)
Total = 72

Balance = 74 - 72 = 2 for Treasury

Orders
Explorer fleet Survey 073 - Possor II
Intel Expenditure ( Counter Raiders 10pts) = -50% Raid chance
Transport Fleet 1 - Move 1 Census from Nomord V to Nomord II (Optimise Production on better world)

Results
Raiders (10% Base + 20% Civ Fleet - 50% Intel = 1%) = D100 rolled 91 - No Raid
Military Institute
Explorer fleet Survey 073 - Possor II = Survey completed on 073 - Possor II
Transport Fleet 1 - Move 1 Census Nomord V to Nomord II = -1 Census Nomord V, +1 Census Nomord II

------------

The basic thrust so far is to keep making gas stations for added income, move the census population around for more productive results. In addition surveying and exploring slowly.

One of the advantages of solo play is no need for frantic exploration to gain "land" like RTS games. I also enjoyed using the System Generator with the 'unexplored=true' option to only show me the "outline" of 073 Possor.