Fighter Ballistic Packages

General Discussion
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Fighter Ballistic Packages

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Had an idea knocking around my head for a couple of days, and started doodling. Not entirely sure what the idea will flesh out into, but one thing I've 'noticed' is that it resembles a PK-like set-up with regards to fighters (a interceptor-like design and a assault shuttle-like design which can be assigned to carry out a myriad of different missions).

So, one thing I'm thinking of doing is assigning this Marauder-like heavy fighter/assault shuttle two 'ballistic' packages. One would take up both 'slots' and would essentially give it a long-range ability (like Extended Operation in VBAM:SX) plus a Direct Assault rating of one. And three additional packages, one being a combined AS/AF package, one a purely AS package, and the third a minelaying ability.

Unfortunately, I've never used ballistic packages before, and am a little unsure how to model them. Plus, they've got to be able to stick around, as it doesn't actually carry ballistic weapons and the additional weapon loadout is more along the lines of heavy guns/more interceptor-grade weapons.

How would it be costed, and would it work or would it be better to give said fighter a base ability and have its carrier be able to 'transform' them into different variants?
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Re: Fighter Ballistic Packages

Post by Chyll »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:
How would it be costed, and would it work or would it be better to give said fighter a base ability and have its carrier be able to 'transform' them into different variants?
This last is probably the most straight forward option.

I would not let them change packages mid-battle, but if you 'loaded' them up prior to the scenario, that should work.

I tend to keep with a dedicated, designed fighter, with a different flights with different abilities, but only because I find that cleaner to track over the campaign.
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus