Different FTL types in one campaign

General Discussion
MarkNorfolk
Ensign
Ensign

Different FTL types in one campaign

Post by MarkNorfolk »

I’m just after a bit of advice. I’m just about to start a VBAM campaign for 40K and since thee will be an elder player I’m thinking about giving the Eldar alternative movement rules to represent the Webway. Idea One is drawing a different jump lane network. IdeaTwo is to allow them to jump two lanes regardless of lane type and that they avoid anyone they meet en route (only triggering engagements at destinations). I was wondering if any of you out there had any experience of running campaigns that featured empires with different methods of moving around the map. (Fortunately there isn’t a Necron player and I don’t have to worry about ‘true’ FTL in realspace, although I've got an idea).

Cheers
Mark
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Are you using a jump lane network for the non-eldar players?

(From memory, WH40K would seem to use something like the hex-based movement system described in the Moderators Companion),

If you wanted to include the webway then you could give the eldar their own webmap for their own use - whether they can use conventional movement as well I don't know,

If you do, then you could use something like the movement system described in FASB edition (the Eldar use sails for movement right?),
Gareth Lazelle
Chyll
Commander
Commander

Post by Chyll »

I have never mixed jump types... but I do not seeing it being more than a book-keeping exercise: two map systems.

Hmm, another option would be to use one map, but code lanes (like A, B, C). A for regular, B for eldar, C for both... but then you lose the strategic FoW where neither side is confident of where the opponent can reach.

I'd probably go two maps, and force them to track what they learn about the opponent's movements.

Edit: The hex idea Gareth mentioned isn't bad. Use jump lanes for the regs... give the Eldar the map with large hex blocks overlaid, pick up multiple systems in a single hex sometimes, they can jump from any system in one hex to a system in the same or neighboring hex? (just for simplicity).

I'd probably go hard lanes recorded on two maps.
No man is wise enough by himself.
- Plautus
HairyHeretic
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HairyHeretic »

The 40k warp travel mechanic, if you want to make it accurate, means that the ships that travel through the warp (Imperial / Chaos / Orks) can travel pretty much were they want.

Now, there are storm in the warp, and currents that can block, impede or speed up travel. Chaos also would get a bonus to its warp movement, since the warp entities are generally on their side.

The Eldar would be able to avoid that, and use the webway, but there aren't that many portals large enough to allow the passage of ships. The webway should allow far faster travel to and from portal equipped systems, but the eldar ships should also be able to travel without the portals, though at a slower speed overall.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

That was more what I meant,

Build up the map on hexes, using hex-based movement for all factions.

Then allow the eldar access to webways consisting of interconnecting portals in specific systems (jump lanes),

Not sure if it's tru to the setting, but you could even make the portals a large installation (starbase or whatever), and allow them to be destroyed or constructed in-game (each "portal" allowing jumps to a single specified portal in another system). Perhaps give other factions some penalty for destroying the portals (or a science benefit for keeping them?),

For the solar sails/chaos ships:

Include "currents" on some tiles on the hex map, eldar vessels following one or more currents during their move get +1 move, or if opposing a current get -1 move. Non-eldar vessels perhaps always suffer a -1 move if they pass through these tiles?

Not sure about chaos - but maybe some insulation from "weather" effects discussed below,

Finally, add a "weather roll" at the end of each turn (like VBAM: FASB) - something to make warp-space suitably random. Roll on the weather chart at the end of each turn to get the "weather" for next turn. Weather results may delay ships, destroy ships, send ships off course, change currents, etc
Gareth Lazelle
HairyHeretic
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HairyHeretic »

All the other entrances to the webway involve physical structures, so I'd say the ship sized ones should too. I don't know that non eldar ships would be able to use them though. Dark eldar would, I think.

The currents I would leave just in the warp, which I don't think the eldar will enter. The last thing they'd want would be to put all those tasty eldar souls any closer to Slaanesh than absolutely necessary.

Currents in the warp should be capable of becalming ships, drawing them off course, slowing them down or speeding them up. If you wanted to be really nasty, have the ships just vanish for X turns, then reappear.

The warpstorms are the ones that are most likely to destroy ships outright. Even in regions with storms there should be some clear passages though. How clear, and how long they stay clear for can vary. I can recall one or two background pieces about passages that periodically open.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

HairyHeretic wrote:The currents I would leave just in the warp, which I don't think the eldar will enter. The last thing they'd want would be to put all those tasty eldar souls any closer to Slaanesh than absolutely necessary.
How then do they establish new webway portals? Or assault hostile planets?

Certainly it sounds like the webway is eldar only - which makes the webway portals valuable targets for non-eldar players (and key defensive positions) - but also the web transport system sounds like it's mostly a rear-area transit system - you can't really use it for the front lines (unless you are losing a defensive war anyway),

However, other factions may be able to accumulate Tech Points (rather like using the archaeological remains from the MoD companion) by investigating webway portals, even if they never learn to use them, giving them some reason to not always destroy the portals as soon as they find them,
Gareth Lazelle
HairyHeretic
Ensign
Ensign

Post by HairyHeretic »

There are lots of webway portals on planets, but size is the problem. Having one that even tanks can come though, not a big deal. Something big enough to let your titans, or even ships come through, those structure are a LOT bigger.

Most eldar armies that use the webway aren't coming through with superheavies, titans or ships.

Portal structures are grown from wraithbone, I believe, probably by the bonesingers. Once they're in place, they would be connected to the webway by <technobabble>.

Other players could conceivably enter the webway. Ahriman did it during the 13th Black Crusade, assorted Imperial Inquisitors have access to the Black Library, and the Emperor apparently was messing with an entrance to it under the Imperial Palace just as the Heresy kicked off.

You can get things into it.

Getting them where you want them to go, and getting them back out again, that's a whole other ballgame ;)
MarkNorfolk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MarkNorfolk »

Thanks for all your ideas guys.

I was intending to use the regular jump lane rules for the non-eldar players (I'm using 1st ed here) to represent the more predictable streams in the warp. I was thinking of a hex grid system for any Necron player that might join but that is now not the case.

There's alot of interesting ideas about webway portals as military objectives and two methods of travel might be a bit too much for these players first VBAM campaign. That combined with the recollection that ship-sized portals are very rare (although I remember a craftworld towing one) means I'm now leaning towards having the Eldar use the regular jump lanes.

Cheers
Mark