Extra-Dimensional aliens in an exploration setting

General Discussion
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Extra-Dimensional aliens in an exploration setting

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Of course, pretty soon this whole thread will be useless, but I've been wondering about trying to introduce an extra-dimensional power into an exploration campaign. Trouble is, I don't know if its going to be worth the bother. So, has anyone had extra-dimensional aliens in an exploration game and, if so, how did it work out, and what rules did you come up with?
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Extra-Dimensional aliens in an exploration setting

Post by mwaschak »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:Of course, pretty soon this whole thread will be useless, but I've been wondering about trying to introduce an extra-dimensional power into an exploration campaign. Trouble is, I don't know if its going to be worth the bother. So, has anyone had extra-dimensional aliens in an exploration game and, if so, how did it work out, and what rules did you come up with?
Oh yeah, but it has been awhile. One of the earliest revisions of my games for B5 had ultra-space aliens, and then we had other aliens in BK I tried out that used "different" FTL systems. So the net effect was I had a second hex and spoke system for them using the same planets. While it may take the EA 5 jumps to reach Proxima, the other FTL would essentially allow for 3 jumps, by way of Epsilon Eridani for example.

-Jay
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

I think the easiest way would to be have a separate 'extra dimensional' map set up the same way as your normal map- jump lanes, systems, etc. This n-space, quasi-space or whatever you want your extra dimension to be, and where the extra dimensional aliens start.

Have certain systems be defined as 'overlap' points with real space, ie, your original map. So maybe the Betelgeuse system is an overlap point- that means that this is the same system on both the 'normal' and 'extra dimension' maps. Ships for any race can enter this system, interact, colonize, what have you. But when the real-space species move, they can only use the 'real space' map, and when the extra dimensional species move they can only use the 'extra dimensional' map. This means that when an extra-dimensional ship moves out of the system, it basically 'vanishes' so far as a real-space ship is concerned, and vice versa. So the two kinds of powers can interact, but only in particular systems.

You could then introduce tech later that would allow ships to really 'cross dimensions' and switch between the two maps.

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

What Will said -- the best solution is to assume that these extra-dimensional aliens came from a small pocket dimension, and that there are portals (essentially wormholes) connecting multiple systems in the pocket dimension to the main campaign map.

You really don't want to make the pocket dimension too large, however, as that will give the extra-dimensional aliens little reason to attempt an invasion or colonization of normal space. As for how much size is "just right" for the pocket dimension... maybe a dozen systems max? You could always have the pocket dimension's size be undefined, too, and just apply a penalty to the number of jump lanes each system has when generating them so that systems in the pocket dimension will have a better chance of being cul de sacs or just connecting to fewer systems.

As for the number of systems that connect back to real space, maybe roll D10 for each, and on a '10' there is a portal that connects to a random system in normal space? You would have to make sure that at least one system connects to normal space when generating them, of course.

I would also have nearly all of the extra-dimensional empire's pre-contact exploration take place in their own dimension, with just one real space location known for every portal they've discovered in their dimension.

Addressing the question of whether or not they are worth including in a campaign, they can make things more interesting, as the bulk of their power would exist outside of the normal campaign universe. And, if you restricted travel to the pocket dimension to those units with special Extra-Dimensional Drives, then it could become a case of forcing the real space powers to capture and reverse engineer the technology in order to enter that dimension.

-Tyrel
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
zyffyr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by zyffyr »

A few thoughts.

1)Make any such power an NPE - the potential balance issues with it being player controlled are massive, and it is easier to keep things in check when you are the one running them.

2a)I would allow for the possibility of one system connecting to multiple systems in the 'real' universe. If you combine Tyrel's dozen systems with a 1 in 10 chance you will probably only have one gateway. As such, I would make a 2nd roll for jump lanes in a gateway system, with all of the lanes generated by that roll leading to the real universe. That will increase the probability that they will be able to interact with more than one empire from the real universe.

2b)Alternately, make the 1 in 10 roll for each jump lane instead of on a per system basis. In this case, don't generate any extra lanes.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

Depending upon your game-background... A couple of alternate takes:

Make planets multi-dimensional, either all of them, or some of them,

If all planets exist in all dimensions then in effect you have one map with two different jump-gate networks - in effect all of your races are fighting for the same planets, but with different road maps (this variation might make for some really interesting strategic situations for both races, especially as detection of non-native jump lanes might be extremely difficult),

Creating two (small) dimensions which cross at right angles (such that a few systems along the join are shared) might also make for some interesting games (especially if the systems along the join are especially valuable, and each reality has two or more races inhabiting it to add some pressure not to share!)

In both cases, remember that the "alternate dimension" race might have just as many problems travelling through normal jump lanes as you do through their jump-lanes. This can be key because otherwise the alternate dimension race has a huge advantage (in effect having a core of systems and census that has no need to be defended because they are impossible for other races to reach, while they have no such problem),
Gareth Lazelle
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Thanks for the ideas guys. I admit my thoughts on the matter are very close to what Will and Tyrel said--two maps to signify two different dimensions. I'm not too sure on whether to limit the systems or not, but I think a decision will be appropriate when I know what sort of ED race it is. If its a Thirdspace-type race, I'll be limiting the systems and run with a limited number of gateways. If its more like a Earth Alliance encountering Peacekeepers (in other words, two roughly equal powers) I won't limit it and may even (if I fancy a massive challenge) try to run the alternate dimension as a second campaign. That should be fun...:)
wminsing
Commander
Commander

Post by wminsing »

I won't limit it and may even (if I fancy a massive challenge) try to run the alternate dimension as a second campaign. That should be fun...
You are a glutton for punishment. :lol:

If you do this I *really* want to see the campaign report!

-Will
"Ships and sail proper for the heavenly air should be fashioned. Then there will also be people, who do not shrink from the dreary vastness of space."
-- Johannes Kepler, 1609
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

I know and, if time permits it, you will get to see it...:)

At the moment, I'm running a campaign in between my frequent attempts to construct an interesting SAE setting. Just twelve or thirteen turns passed so far, but already several NPEs (four alien races, one splinter colony). The player empire is the New Earth Allied Territories...:)
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

NEAT!
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
XSiberia
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by XSiberia »

I think a very fun PBeM campaign could borrow a bit (okay, heavily) from the Replicators/Asgard trope. The extra-dimensional faction could be a PC but be under intens pressure in their home dimension from a voracious NPE threat. From the beginning the ED PC faction could be more powerful than the the normal-space players but simultaneously be in the position where the NPE faction will overrun his home systems in a pre-determined time period, forcing him into real space where, after having pissed of the occupants, he will suddenly have a lot less resources. And then of course there is the threat faction probably best if they can't cross over)...