Exploration

General Discussion
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Exploration

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

I've got a question regarding exploration. Its not a "I've got a problem with the rules" question, its a question of your personal taste

I, myself, always try to explore using either Explorer or Scout ships. I think, in all the campaigns I've done, I've used non-explorer hulls twice, and one time was in the WC campaign where other things forced me to relinquish my role.

Do you only explore once you've got explorer or scout vessels, or do you construct small, cheap ships to conduct exploration without the fancy electronics on board?
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Explorer

Post by mwaschak »

Right now I am personally using the scout and exploration rules I used in the Wing Commander game. Basically there is a difficulty to scan and learn everything there is to know about a system. Doing this without a scout/explorer takes a lot more time, but can be done eventually. I hope to get those posted in a TVT or upcoming source, but would be happy to share if you want to see them.

-Jay
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

Yeah, why not? Might give me some new ideas...
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I've only ever used scouts/explorers. In past games where a race did not have a scout or explorer, I've developed one for them. Most notably was my solo campaign that included the Usuuth from B5. As a minor race, they didn't have a full slate of campaign ships, so when they got activated I took advantage of their close ties with the Earth Alliance and judged that the EA sent a technical team to help them modify one of their existing hulls into a scout ship. That notion actually got turned into an SCS for B5W, so it must have had some merit. ;)
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

I almost always build ships with the Explorer/Scout ability to do my exploring, too. The only real case where that didn't happen (and I am not sure if I am remembering this right or not) was an empire that didn't have the tech, or didn't have the economy to support such a project. In that case, I built the absolute cheapest FTL-capable ship I could and just spammed them out in all directions. More often than not they were lost within mere turns, but out of 10-12 ships built, one or two might explore a jump lane before being lost/destroyed. If your "hyperspace probes" only cost you 1-2 EP each, it isn't a bad trade off. It is definitely not a good long-term strategy, but in the short-term for a technologically inferior empire it is worth a shot.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Wing Commander

Post by mwaschak »

Here is the WC post I promised:

Rule Adjustment: Detection
Carrier warfare is just as much about combat as avoiding combat. Ships are constantly looking for each other in the depths of space, and depending on the size of the force, some fleets can slip by undected or even misidentified. So it will be important to keep an eye on the enemy.
If two forces enter the system, the CM rolls a dice for each player to see if there is a detection, and then again to see what they see and report back home. It is important to note that a fleet trying to stay hidden can not deploy fighters, or keep their CAP minimal to avoid drawing attention to themselves. If they are caught unlaunched, they are not available the first turn of CSCR combat.
Please note players do not know if a misinformation roll was rolled, only the result.

D10 Detection Roll per Side

4-: No Sighting
5: Misinformation Roll - 3
6: Misinformation Roll - 1
7: Detection of Force size in DV (Not Certain)
8: Detection of Force size in DV (Relatively Certain)
9: Detection of Force size in DV (Certain)
10+: Targets and Ids are revealed (Certain)

Modifiers for Player Detection
+1 for each 5 DV of Capital Ships Present
+2 For each Colony, Transport, or Troop Fleet Present
+1 (New Intel Mission) for Each Intel Spent on Non-Detection per Turn
+1 for Each 5 flights of fighters deployed.

Modifiers Against Player Detection
+1 for Listening Post or Scout Function present
+1 for each 3 Corvettes, Frigates, or Destroyer Present
+1 for each 5 flights of fighters deployed from a carrier
+1 for each 10 flights of fighters deployed from a planet.
+1 (New Intel Mission) for Each Intel Spent on Detection per Turn

Example: Peter is trying to sneak a group of Corvettes into Confed space managed by Steve to scout a planet rumored to be building a starbase. With 6 DV of ships (3 CTs), and only 7 Confed wings of Hornets in System, it could go like this.

Peter’s Roll: 6
+1 for having 3 CTs present
+1 for the planet having 7 flights deployed

Result: 8

Pete is told he is relatively certain there are 7 DV of fighters in the system.

The CM rolls for the Confed player Steve.

Steve’s Roll: 2
+1 for each DV of capital ships present

Result 3.

Steve is told there is no sighting in this system for this turn.

If any fleet is caught and engaged by an opponent who saw them, and they did not detect their opponent, they are at a tactical disadvantage. Any fleet in such a situation is at a -2 for the Surprise Roll.

D10 Misinformation Roll

1-: Certain: Enemy force is actually (D10 times smaller in DV)
2: Relatively Certain (D6 times smaller in DV)
3: Not Certain (D3 times smaller in DV)
4: Not Reliable (D3 times smaller in DV)
5: Unconfirmed (D3 times smaller in DV)
6: Unconfirmed (D3 times larger in DV)
7: Not Reliable (D3 times larger in DV)
8: Not Certain (D6 times larger in DV)
9: Relatively Certain (D6 times larger in DV)
10+: Certain (D10 times larger in DV)

Note: CM also reserves right to identify and misidentify targets as needed. So a transport might be spotted by some anxious pilot as a carrier.

Rule Adjustment: Scouting
Players may discover hidden jump points and new systems, even those the enemy did not know existed. Detection is based on the size of the force available to check and detect new jump points. The frontier is vast, with most resources that would be used for scouting tied up in the war for both sides. Sometimes privateers and contractors are hired for this dirty work. When a new system is discovered, a random number on a D100 will be determined. This is the total number of DV (fighter or cap ship) that is needed to fully scout the system.
For example, the system Victory is discovered and rolls a 44. This means it will require 44 DV of scouting, in any number of turns to be discovered. So a fleet of 22 DV would need two turns to full scout the system and reveal all attributes and obvious jump points.
Most jump points are marked on the map, but some systems have indications that others may exist. Even established systems are turning up new jump points, but at a high cost of time and resources. If such a system is determined to have one, there is a chance each turn that one may be uncovered. These hidden jump points are also given a difficulty number, but a roll each turn is made (D50 + friendly DV not in combat >= jump point difficulty).
Freelancers can be hired, and are spent from Intel with a mission of Exploration. Intel is worth 2 exploration DV.
System Gothic Prime Mission of 4 Intel to System Victory would uncover 8 of the needed 44 mentioned above.

Originally here: http://forums.jeremehovah.org/showthread.php?t=271