Raid Chance

Discussion about the Second Edition of the Victory by Any Means campaign rules.
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Raid Chance

Post by PaulB »

Is there an easier way to determine raid chance? Everything seems fairly simple except for the -1% per 10 CP of military ships. Construction Points are something not found on the ship rosters, but only in the construction system. You can add up all of the DV/AS/AF/CR/Special Abilities values but that seems like a lot of time to invest in something which need be done in every system, every turn, particularly since special abilities have varying costs. It may be fairly easy at the start if one has the CPs for each class memorized but later on as different ships have additional CPs it will become more difficult.

When I started my solo campaign, what I would do is just roll the dice and if the result was low enough I would check the percentage chance. The one time I did so, the chance was below 0% so nothing happened.

Maybe instead, something like
-1% for every three Fighter flights (any size)
-1% for every two ships of Destroyer or smaller size (DD, FF, CT, GB)
-1% for every ship of Cruiser class (CL, CA or BC)
-2% for every ship of Battleship or larger size (BB, DN, SDN, TTN)

Even that's a bit complicated, and somewhat lines up with the current rules, but it's maybe easier to evaluate at a glance?
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Raid Chance

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

That would actually be an error transcribed over from the original CG! I'll make the change to the rules. That should be ECONOMIC POINTS or CONSTRUCTION COST. The two got swapped around for some reason.

That being said, would players prefer to have a chart like for orbital bombardment that instead provides raiding chance modifiers based on class instead of economic cost?
[i]"Touch not the pylons, for they are the messengers!"[/i]
PaulB
Commander
Commander

Post by PaulB »

What if it were instead, -1 per 5 Command Cost.
Command cost is roughly half of Construction Cost with few exceptions. And I think that in terms of record keeping, people are more likely to have CC as a part of their fleet distribution than they would Construction Cost.

I suppose the one shortcoming is that it wold preclude fighters from participating. So it wouldn't work in that regard.
aelius
Commander
Commander

Post by aelius »

Just treat the flights as if they were independent instead of ship based for the calculation. That lets them count against the raiding chance pretty well, and fighters would be good against raiders so that fits.
It would make carrier groups good patrol units. You get the bonus for the ships and the fighters.
4. Killing is not too good for my enemies
Evil Overlords Survival Guide