Some VBAM questions from a prospective purchaser...

General Discussion
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Some VBAM questions from a prospective purchaser...

Post by gambler »

I just ran across this set of space campaign rules on the Star Fleet Battles forums and became intrigued as much by the system in its own right as by the fact that there may be a Federation Commander linkage upcoming.

I have a couple of questions before I dive in however (I have a shopping cart somewhere ready to be purchased with a few VBAM products):

1. First, and most important. I saw the mention of a version 2.0 CSCR. I am assuming this will be errata and not create a wholly new rulebook?

2. I assume that "The Campaign Moderator's Companion" is needed to play solo Campaigns?
--
The cake is a lie.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

1) Yes, this will be a free upgrade after its complete. It will get incorporated into subsequent products where appropriate, but it is our intent that no additional purchase will need to be made to get access to the CSCR 2.0.

2) No, it's not needed. You can run quite satisfactory games both multi-player and solo with just the rules int he main Campaign Guide.

However, as a big-time solo player, the Companion and the Menagerie are two very useful products, simply for the enhanced options you get. Note that if you want to do an exploration campaign, then the Companion does become necessary if you want to generate the map on the fly. Without it, you could do an exploration campaign by generating your map, and not generating system stats until the particular system has been found.
'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone
JoeBuckeye
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JoeBuckeye »

I just recently bought the VBAM special (Campaign Guide, Companion, two source books plus the Menagerie).

I have just started a practice solo game to test drive the rules. I am only using the rules from the Campaign Guide.

The Companion is filled with optional rules to plug and play into the base VBAM system. I have only skimmed this book as I am concentrating the base system first to see how it flows.

I will say that as I was reading the Campaign Guide I was thinking of how things could be tweaked to handle other systems and almost all of those topics were convered in the Companion book.

This system appears to be built to allow one to customize it in the areas you want to customize and leave the base system alone in areas you are satisfied with.

I have not been disappointed in my purchase.
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

I'm glad you're liking the system. VBAM was designed to be modular so as to be adapted to any desired setting. Considering that the core rules have been adapted from hard core sci-fi to space opera to 18th century Age of Sail, I'd say it's flexibility is well established. ;)

While the plethora of options can be daunting at first (and you're wise to stick to just the core rules at first), as you've noticed, it's easy to "season to taste."

Welcome to our community, and have fun! And don't hesitate to ask questions!!!
Bandit
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Bandit »

I have used VBAM to run epic ground battles in D&D :)
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Bandit wrote:I have used VBAM to run epic ground battles in D&D :)
Now that sounds interesting! I'd be curious as to how you rated units etc if you want to post the info sometime.

-Mark
Charles Lewis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Charles Lewis »

Actually, I bet that's not that hard. DV is obvious, turn AS into melee, AF into ranged, and the CC/CR stuff would work as before.
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

Ok, so I jumped. I'm not very good at self restraint. Both of the main rulebooks, "The Menagerie" and "The Wars of the Boltians and Kuissians".

Probably one of the main reasons is reading the "To Boldly Go" PDF which gives a very nice feel and narrative. One question I had, I see that the "Fire as she Bears!" campaign system uses hexes. All of the VBAM campaigns I've seen in the forums here use a 'jump' system. Is there an alternative hex based system in the basic rules?
--
The cake is a lie.
Gareth_Perkins
Captain
Captain

Post by Gareth_Perkins »

gambler wrote:All of the VBAM campaigns I've seen in the forums here use a 'jump' system. Is there an alternative hex based system in the basic rules?
Not in the basic rules, but in the Moderators companion I think,
Gareth Lazelle
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

Gambler,

Hello and welcome to forums! As Gareth noted the rule you're looking for is in vbm 105 Campaign Moderator's Companion, 3.3 Sector-Based Movement starting on page 56 of pdf. This covers both square and hex based movement games.

-Mark
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

Hey guys, thanks...

I'm one of those people who has to have the hard copies, so I'll be waiting until they arrive at my doorstep before I get to play with all this stuff.
--
The cake is a lie.
MarkG88
Commodore
Commodore

Post by MarkG88 »

gambler wrote:Hey guys, thanks...

I'm one of those people who has to have the hard copies, so I'll be waiting until they arrive at my doorstep before I get to play with all this stuff.
Ahh, I understand, my good friend and gamer buddy Randy is same way. In that case, you'll be looking for page 55 of the hard copy of CM (VBAMer shorthand for Campaign Moderator's Companion). :wink:
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

Woohoo! Discovered via the joys of internet tracking that my copies of VBAM, CM, Menagerie and WotBaK are going to be here Friday instead of Monday like originally anticipated. Oh frabjulous day. It means I can have something new to look at this weekend.
--
The cake is a lie.
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

gambler wrote:Woohoo! Discovered via the joys of internet tracking that my copies of VBAM, CM, Menagerie and WotBaK are going to be here Friday instead of Monday like originally anticipated. Oh frabjulous day. It means I can have something new to look at this weekend.
Well that is good news indeed :) . As always if you have any questions, or just want to try to get a game going, let us know. I know of two new games kicking off in the near future via email.

-Jay
gambler
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by gambler »

I may just take you guys up on that... Do these upcoming games have handouts or anything? My personal preference would probably be one that didn't include races from a 'known' universe, or at least not one that mixes them up.
--
The cake is a lie.