Turn 1 Voting

Playtesting & Rules Development
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Re: Turn 1 Voting

Post by virtutis.umbra »

It is with no little dismay that we acknowledge, now after voting is closed, the concerns from two of the predominant Great Houses of the Assembly -- dismay because, fellow Delegates, a few clarifying questions could have obviated such tragically misguided aspersions on the intent of House Phoenix, and also the specific procedural concerns raised by Houses Raptor and Echelon.

Please allow me to begin my response by asking a framing question: If we delegates of this august Assembly, inheritors of the political and diplomatic traditions of the Hegemony, do not believe that human civilization is best served by the House system, then, ladies and gentlemen, I must ask: what, precisely, are we doing here?

As to House Phoenix's intent -- and let no House here present speak any more words to the contrary but that they mar the respect and goodwill with which all Houses here present participate in the Assembly!

The Repatriation Protocol's whole point and purpose is to prevent skirmishes between Houses; damage to civilian populations and infrastructure on currently-independent worlds; and to safeguard Indep systems against piracy, brutality, oppression, and undemocratic practices. The Protocol's specific are based on two premises:

First, that in most cases, Indep worlds are better off being repatriated to a friendly neighboring House, provided that House is demonstrably in a position to mobilize security forces to an Indep system to preserve peace and stability there.

Second, that this Assembly is equipped and willing to adjudicate through debate and civil dialogue the individual cases where that may not be true -- herein lay the rationale for the clauses in the Protocol about Objection; Veto by the Assembly Chair for Prosperity Zone worlds; and voting in ANY case where the appropriate handling of an Indep world is in dispute. No Great House may run roughshod over a Minor House in the strictures of this Protocol; nor can any House dominate an Indep world if a single voice should be raised in protest within this Assembly, but that the deliberations of the entire body conclude that the repatriating House's means and intentions be right and proper.

Moreover, what House Phoenix has suggested is the putting forward of a set of rules governing incorporation for Indep systems into the existing House structure where presently there is -- nothing. Surely it is best to have a deliberate, stated protocol for Houses to repatriate former Hegemony worlds now fallen into isolation, than to have NO published policy on the matter?

Please remember that laws, once enacted, can be modified to improve or clarify their purpose, to everyone's satisfaction. For example, arguments for other methods of demonstrating the will and capability to defend an Indep system from internal chaos or outside aggression have already been put forward, and I believe will make a worthy amendment to the Protocol. House Phoenix looks forward to discussing such matters more fully, and notes that additional changes would be happily discussed concerning the role of Indep systems' leaders or populations in contributing their voices to the proceedings.
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

OOC: TI3 is a lot of fun! We can't legislate the actual VBAM rules away as that would introduce a measure of chaos. As I mentioned earlier in the thread these still need to be conquered but the NEE houses can recognize the ownership.
virtutis.umbra
The Critic
The Critic

Post by virtutis.umbra »

Iron Sky wrote:OOC: So this doesn't have a mechanical effect? I.E. when someone goes to a neutral star, it automatically joins them? I was under the impression that was the case or do these laws never change default mechanics?.
OOC:

EDIT: Jay scooped me:
mwaschak wrote:these still need to be conquered but the NEE houses can recognize the ownership.
... which means the other Houses agree not to get into innumerable costly border skirmishes with one another, not that all systems fall in line without some effort from the player, especially to the extent that the locals aren't happy about the House's actions - which is where the sanctioning of military force against resistant locals comes in*. (Diplomacy works too, right?) This is where Landry's constant reference to distinctions between "protectorate" and "incorporated" status come in for his House's attitude toward nearby systems.

* Actually that bit sets up some neat negative space that might cut the other way: IF it's legitimate to suppress resisting combat forces in a system once that system has been granted to a House under the Repatriation Protocol, THEN isn't it non-legitimate to fight a war-of-conquest against local forces withOUT getting a nod from the Assembly first?
-Patrick
crit·ic /ˈkritik : Someone who knows the way but can't drive the car. -- Kenneth Tynan