Diplomatic States & Encounters

General Discussion
andstrauss
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Diplomatic States & Encounters

Post by andstrauss »

Howdy!

I'm a little uncertain yet as how to handle encounters in my campaign.

Player A and player B just found each other. Player A arrived at a system with a player B colony and fleet.

From what I understand, if player A has a fleet at player B's planet (with fleets), only player B can demand a scenario. If player B does not demand a scenario, nothing happens.

Next turn, they are at Normal relations. Then Player A may declare war at B and generate a scenario.

Assuming A & B are at normal relations, the only way A can generate a scenario against B is if B is at A's system or A&B are at neutral system.

Is that it?

Cheers,
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

Hi Andy,

Sorry about the delay! I was extremely busy last week.

Both sides can demand a scenario in an ecounter, but only if the political situation will allow it. So if two allies ran in to each other the political situation would not allow either to demand a scenario (which is conflict in any form).
So in your situation either side can demand a scenario in any system or jump lane (if applicable) as long as they don't have a peace treaty of some kind (non-aggression and so on).

-Jay
murtalianconfederacy
Captain
Captain

Post by murtalianconfederacy »

So if you wanted to, you could fight someone with either Normal Relations or a Non-Interference Treaty and force them into declaring hostilities?

Damn, I need to read the rules more clearly
Not every laser dot has a loaded gun at the end of it
mwaschak
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mwaschak »

murtalianconfederacy wrote:So if you wanted to, you could fight someone with either Normal Relations or a Non-Interference Treaty and force them into declaring hostilities?

Damn, I need to read the rules more clearly
Normally the the declaration of hostilities is the next step. The non-interferences treaty is a bit different though and depends greatly on who is involved. Basically to prevent fighting you need to have some sort of peace treaty in place.

-Jay
Tyrel Lohr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Tyrel Lohr »

Though I don't think it is in the rules anywhere, the rule of thumb I usually use for forces that are at Normal Relations is very much like you already outlined. If Player A enters Player B's colonized (controlled) star system, then Player A cannot generate a scenario, but Player B can. In other words, Player A can't be the out-right antagonist, even if his actions are antagonistic; a Declaration of Hostilities is required to do that. However, because Player B's system is directly threatened, they should be allowed to generate a scenario against the invaders. Or they can settle the matter diplomatically.

Now, in cases where Player A and B meet in neutral territory (e.g., territories that neither of them control), they should NOT be able to generate scenarios. That should require a Declaration of Hostilities.

The best real-world analogies I can come up with right now is the recent hawkish behaviour of the Russian military. Flying air planes through international air space right up until crossing borders where they could be attacked is similar to the first instance; once they cross that border into "controlled" territory, the enemy can and will generate a "scenario" against them (i.e., interception). Similarly, when the Russian jets turn back and go home, the scrambled enemy craft don't pursue them... they can defend their territory, but not project power unnecessarily beyond it without having proper authorization, which in VBAM terms would be a Declaration of Hostilities.

This interpretation allows a power to defend itself against flagrant violations of its borders during a state of Normal Relations (Non-Aggression Treaty, IIRC, actually establishes an official border between empires).