Figther combat

General Discussion
andstrauss
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Figther combat

Post by andstrauss »

Howdy!

Combat is brewing in my campaign and now I need all the info on that part of the rules in my brain. I have some questions.

1 unit of Fighters = 1 Flight
4 Flights = 1 Squadron
1 Squadron = 1 BC

Is this right?
So a ship with BC=1 can carry 4 units of fighters?

Fighters seem to be (from what I read on this forum) very powerful. If what I understand above is the correct interpretation, there are a lot of fighter units in a fight, even using small carriers (BC1 or 2). So as fighters have AS values of 1 or 2, in large numbers they are very powerful against ships.
A simple solution can be => 1 unit of fighter = 1 BC. It's more intuitive and lowers the fighter strength by 4.

Cheers,
Iron Knight
Lieutanant Commander
Lieutanant Commander

Post by Iron Knight »

I was confused about this when I started as well. This is how it works:

1 Flight takes 1 BC
4 Flights equal a Wing
All Flights in a squadron are effected by "squadron" flight abilities

Flights are still very powerful and flight leaders are near impossible to kill.
Garland

Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow. Plan your move. - Fortune Cookie Nov. 6
nimrodd
Commander
Commander

Re: Figther combat

Post by nimrodd »

andstrauss wrote:1 unit of Fighters = 1 Flight
4 Flights = 1 Squadron
1 Squadron = 1 BC

Is this right?
So a ship with BC=1 can carry 4 units of fighters?

Fighters seem to be (from what I read on this forum) very powerful. If what I understand above is the correct interpretation, there are a lot of fighter units in a fight, even using small carriers (BC1 or 2). So as fighters have AS values of 1 or 2, in large numbers they are very powerful against ships.
A simple solution can be => 1 unit of fighter = 1 BC. It's more intuitive and lowers the fighter strength by 4.
BC (Basing) is per flight. You would have to have 2 BC2 carriers to have a full Wing of fighters.

Originally, they used Squadron instead of Wing, but it got to be too confusing, so they changed the term in version 1.2 of the Campaign Guide.
Jimmy Simpson